Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sensor Cartridge for your SLR

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Judge

The principal issue with this is that you won't have a full frame sensor in the unit - depending on funding it will either be a 1-inch (same as the Nikon 1) or a micro four-thirds sensor. So you are immediately faced with the crop factor issue: fine if you shoot telephoto but not so good if you want wide-angle - even an ultra-wide 14mm full frame will be either 28mm or 35mm, depending on the sensor that winds up being used in the final product.

A big problem with all these attempts to digitalise old 35mm film cameras is the tiny space at the back was designed to hold a roll of film and nothing else. A "digital roll" needs to pack in a sensor, electronics, a storage medium and a battery into the same space and that means a lot of compromises. Note that digital SLRs are not anywhere near as compact as their film counterparts.

I see in this case they are saving on the storage medium space by using microSD cards, a format that is pretty much dead on its feet given the amount of data modern mobile phones (the main market for microSD) can store these days. Do shops even sell them anymore? Based on experience with an old phone of mine that used those things, changing the card will be fiddly. In any case, the battery will still be tiny; you'll only be able to get off a few shots before it dies I would guess.

Advertisement