Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tv issue

Options
  • 25-08-2013 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭

Hey guys I bought a tv off harvey normans a year and a half ago and now the screen/picture is gone dodgy. The warrenty ran out after a year but surely a tv should last more than a year and a half! have I any come back? The tv was never abused in any way!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Doesn't sound like a reasonable life span. I got Samsung to replace a 4 year old TV that also only had a one year guarantee. What helped in my case was it was a known/common fault. Have you googled the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

athtrasna wrote: »
    Doesn't sound like a reasonable life span. I got Samsung to replace a 4 year old TV that also only had a one year guarantee. What helped in my case was it was a known/common fault. Have you googled the problem?
    I have but I havnt a clue what all the tech talk means! Harvey normans said they would get back to me about it but that was two weeks ago...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

The best bet would be to deal with the retailer directly, they are ultimately responsible. The Samsung thing was the result of a class action law suit in the States.

Call Harvey Norman see what they say. The result will probably be "out of warranty".

WRITE using ink and paper, to Harvey Norman, stating they have 10 working day to address the issue. For some reason people like to insist this is marked, 'formal complaint', rock on with that for the craic.

If they have not offered a solution after ten working days, start the small claims court process at the cost of €25, ask here if you need any help at that stage.

The warranty given by the manufacturer is not the same as your entitlements under the Sale of Goods Acts. In all honesty they've been explained ad nauseum in this forum so have a search.

EDIT: To head this off at the pass: No such thing as a two year European warranty.

Advertisement