Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing Dublin Lakes / Rivers

Options
  • 25-08-2013 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Just wondering where about in the dublin area is free to fish where you can keep them to eat. I don't believe in c&r so before anyone gets on saying this that or the other, save your time.....I saw a previous poster get ripped out of it for wanting to eat his catch. God forbid we see fishing as a hobby and not hunting. And I would not want to associate a hobby where an animal is hooked through the mouth and hurt and later returned to the water in a distressed state. I catch to eat...thats it. If I catch a few fish for food I would stop.

By the way I am not looking for people to give away their "spots" or anything. Just looking for where is legal and allowable to fish. I also checked the fisheries board website and it is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

Lol that was funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭gonko

Flysfisher wrote: »
    Lol that was funny.
    Really, and where is that place located? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nc13

Even if there was somewhere you could keep fish to eat nobody on here will tell you!!! We want to protect the fish stocks in the waters of Ireland.

nc13 wrote: »
    Even if there was somewhere you could keep fish to eat nobody on here will tell you!!! We want to protect the fish stocks in the waters of Ireland.

Thank you for this reply. Are fish stocks low? If this is the case we shouldn't be fishing rivers at all. Any risk to a fish should be avoided in my opinion.

If fish stocks are low then I would return them. Thanks for pointing this out as opposed to the previous posters waste of a post which had no help at all.

Is returning fish from rivers the done thing. Sea fishing catch to eat I assume is fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

It's a bit late in the season but you could try the Dodder, membership is only 10 or 20 euros (almost free compared to other clubs) and they have a two fish bag limit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

gonko wrote: »
    Thank you for this reply. Are fish stocks low? If this is the case we shouldn't be fishing rivers at all.

Stocks are very low in some places. basically anywhere close to a town\city where you can park a car and walk less than 2 mins to a fishing spot has been hammered and is a waste of time. Its a long story to explain why........

If catch and release is done correctly, its very safe. I have had a few recaptures of pike over the years. I have even caught the same pike twice in one day before!

Thanks for the replies everyone. I was considering the dodder and called today about a permit up until the end of sept. I may just stick with sea pier angling until the new season starts. I had no idea fish stocks were low to the point where the mention of keeping a caught fish would spark outrage. I assume fishing from the sea is different. I hope so as I caught a fish tonight. I have another thread for it as I am not sure what it is and want to eat it. Anyway I am rambling here. Thank you all for the replies, it has been an eye opener.

Advertisement