Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini Crisis - Mid life of course

Options
  • 25-08-2013 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Just a Mini Crisis, but as it's centred around photography I thought I'd share and ask the forum for guidance.

To the point..... I've become a really Sh*te photographer.

Now thats assuming I was any good to start with. Lets say I would aspire to be fair to middling. Not the sort of skill level to earn a living from my art, but a man who would be comfortable with showing his photos to others.

I won't go into everything thats wrong, but what I think I need to do is start from the very basics again - with a clean slate. Re-learn the discipline of composure that working with film used to demand. From that simple base really learn the technology I've spent my hard earned wages on and use it to its full potential, instead of worrying about upgrading it. That can come when the Camera is limiting my abilities, not the other way around as it is now. Likewise with the post processing software. I need to focus (excuse the pun) on building the core skills to achieve what I want with the image and not to worry about all the other stuff.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has been through a process like this, or maybe thought about it before realising its' folly!

If I do go ahead I might document my progress, again if there's any interest within the forum, or I might throw up a blog.

Blame this all on a couple of rolls of FP4 I recently ran through a battered old Nikon with a dodgy meter, and my soon to be replaced "I am 49" badge at the bottom of the office draw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

definitely get a book, or do a short evening course. it will give you a push to be creative, as well as learning new things!

Advertisement