Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which one of these are better?

Options
  • 25-08-2013 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi,

Ever so recently I have started to look into laptops (silly me) and while hunting around I found these two:

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/PACKARD-BELL-EasyNote-TE11-156andquot-Laptop/315316/104.10

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/ASUS-X501AXX514H-156andquot-Laptop-White/315140/104.10

From what I can see the Asus is a netbook, and the packard is a laptop.

I have had terrible experiences with packard bell before, but it looks as if it is the better of the two, since it has a dvd drive ( a dvd drive is not a major necessity ) and a better cpu (?)

Maybe some of you have some thoughts to share on these expensive monstrosities, or even have a different laptop to recommend. (In the price range of 200-300e)

Side-note, I hate Windows 8 :) but it seems like everything with a screen these days is running it, so its not a big bother, but if its possible to get a windows 7 machine it'd be even better.

Thanks.

EDIT:

Buying online would be a last resort, rather buy it in store
    350 (yoyos) would be absolute maximum limit.

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Both are regular budget laptops (not netbook or ultrabook)
    Tosty55 wrote: »
    a better cpu (?)

It would be more accurate to call the Cerleron 1005M a less cr@ppier CPU. ;)

Both score below 2000 with CPUMark while a Core i3 scores well above 3000 the 3000 mark.

If you buy online, you'll get a Core i3 laptop for ~€370, well worth the extra 30 or 40 yoyos... not only will you get a much faster processor, but also better graphics (the Core i3 comes with Intel HD 4000, the new Celerons only have Intel HD 2500).

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Tosty55

Torqay wrote: »
    Both are regular budget laptops (not netbook or ultrabook)

It would be more accurate to call the Cerleron 1005M a less cr@ppier CPU. ;)

Both score below 2000 with CPUMark while a Core i3 scores well above 3000 the 3000 mark.

If you buy online, you'll get a Core i3 laptop for ~€370, well worth the extra 30 or 40 yoyos... not only will you get a much faster processor, but also better graphics (the Core i3 comes with Intel HD 4000, the new Celerons only have Intel HD 2500).

Yea, thanks, but i dont think buying online is a solution for me, unless its the last resort.

Besides, how bad can the celeron 1000m be? If I keep the amount of programs running down to a bare minimum it shouldnt be too aweful?

These Celerons are comparable to the (now 5 years old) mobile Core 2 Duo processors. Not really adequate for modern computing. If you want to restrict yourself to a few browser tabs and not attempt doing much else, you might just get by. I just can not recommend it, you're saving at the wrong end.

Seriously, with a Core i3 processor you have some reserves for a few years to come.

These Celerons are comparable to the (now 5 years old) mobile Core 2 Duo processors. Not really adequate for modern computing. If you want to restrict yourself to a few browser tabs and not attempt doing much else, you might just get by. I just can not recommend it, you're saving at the wrong end.

Seriously, with a Core i3 processor you have some reserves for a few years to come.

http://www.harveynorman.ie/asus-x501-laptop-x501a-xx279h.html

Over my price range, but its a core i3

Yes, but HN doesn't say which Core i3. ;)

Googling the model no. says it's i3-2330M, meaning it's only a 2nd gen (aka Sandy Bridge) Core processor with Intel HD3000 graphics. Certainly better than the current Celerons in terms of processing power (CPUMark score: 2540) and graphics but not quite up there with the current generation (Ivy Bridge). It also means it has been catching quite some dust on the shelves and unless they have it refurbished, chances are that it comes with Windows 7 (I don't see any reference to the operating system).

• Advertisement

Yes, but HN doesn't say which Core i3. ;)

Googling the model no. says it's i3-2330M, meaning it's only a 2nd gen (aka Sandy Bridge) Core processor with Intel HD3000 graphics. Certainly better than the current Celerons in terms of processing power (CPUMark score: 2540) and graphics but not quite up there with the current generation (Ivy Bridge). It also means it has been catching quite some dust on the shelves and unless they have it refurbished, chances are that it comes with Windows 7 (I don't see any reference to the operating system).

Yea, I went and contacted them about the operating system, still waiting for an answer .

Maybe they will drop the price down if its win7? But I honestly doubt that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 McSemtex

Hi guys, that's an informative post for me, can I ask Torquay, is there any online site u'd recommend? I'm looking for the same thing a fairly cheap netbook for travelling, I just don't want to be too far behind the game, so your info about the processor is exactly what I needed to know. Cheers

Netbooks are no longer. Have a look at the ASUS VivoBook S200. Core i3 ULV processor, 12" touchscreen, €456 @ LD

Review here (Note: the performance benchmarks are based on the newer Ivy Bridge processor).

Advertisement