Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remove Windows 8

Options
  • 25-08-2013 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

I recently bought a Fujitsu Lifebook A Series laptop with Windows 8. I do not like windows 8 at all, I find it slow and unresponsive at times (reminds me of Windows Millennium). Anyway I got a disc with the laptop called MOBILE Portfolio 2012 Windows 7 (Drivers, Manuals & Utilities). Can I Install Windows 7 using this disc ?

On the back of the laptop it says PRODUCT= LIFEBOOK AH512...Is this the product key ?

Advice please before I do a Homer Simpson and throw this laptop in the bin :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,845 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

any machine - even windows 7 - will be periodically slow. Especially when seeks and writes are being done on the hard drive. Windows 8 boots quicker than previous versions of windows but still suffers from mild sluggishness for the first few minutes post boot.

windows 8 isn't all that bad save for the fact that it is not terribly well documented except by online blogs. For most users I recommend sticking to the Desktop and running regular software. Most users have difficulty understanding how to swap applications or close programs in the tile UI. The 2 key frustrations I find are the lack of information about those control gestures, and that especially on laptops the trackpad has new gestures which users find confusing - namely, swiping from the left or the right of the trackpad will either switch between apps or open the sidebar.

You can also download utilities like Classic Shell or Start8 which can disable some of Windows 8's features to make it look more to your liking, including bringing back a start popup menu.

The disc you received could be anything, but nothing you posted resembles a serial key for windows 7. Have you tried running the disc on the laptop or reading the manual for clues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Of course you can install Windows 7, question is, will you get it activated? You'll need a license key (what you have posted is the model no.). If your laptop came with Windows 8 Pro, you're eligible for a free upgrade to Windows 7 Professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭johneire31

The majority of Windows 8 is windows 7, it is built on the same kernel as win 7 and performs in pretty much the same way as win 7, if your computer is slow with 8, it will be slow the 7

Download Classic Shell, and install it. it will give you the start button back as well as giving you some easy to set options to make it look and feel like win 7. Start removing the rubbish programs that the manufacturer has put on you system, stuff you don't need and stuff that starts when the system starts. Thing like windows components are useful so leave them there. Check your antivirus and backup settings, have a general look at task manager to see whats running and see if you need them, if not get rid of them. ( use google to identify applications)

The disk you mention sounds like just a backup disk of your device drivers, most of these will be the win 7 drivers, hence why its stated on it. or it could simply have been that these models where shipped to the shop where you bought it and it may have been upgraded in the shop with permission from manufacturer, hence the disk is that of original operating system.

If you want to install Win 7, you will have to purchase the disk, format your hard drive and do a clean install onto your machine, You will also render your recovery partition useless or you could remove it and set up a win 7 recovery partition, takes to long to explain that here. This is important, you will also void your warranty if you remove or change the operation system, all manufacturers claim they make significant changes to the OS to run on their machines and will not accept a generic OS.

The plus side of going for win 7 is that you will probably be happier, you already have the device drivers on disk and installing for a generic win 7 install means you will not be getting any blotware from your manufacture which tends to be the main agent why new computers are sluggish.

j
    Galway Laptop Surgery

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭chopper666

johneire31 wrote: »
    The majority of Windows 8 is windows 7, it is built on the same kernel as win 7 and performs in pretty much the same way as win 7, if your computer is slow with 8, it will be slow the 7

Download Classic Shell, and install it. it will give you the start button back as well as giving you some easy to set options to make it look and feel like win 7. Start removing the rubbish programs that the manufacturer has put on you system, stuff you don't need and stuff that starts when the system starts. Thing like windows components are useful so leave them there. Check your antivirus and backup settings, have a general look at task manager to see whats running and see if you need them, if not get rid of them. ( use google to identify applications)

The disk you mention sounds like just a backup disk of your device drivers, most of these will be the win 7 drivers, hence why its stated on it. or it could simply have been that these models where shipped to the shop where you bought it and it may have been upgraded in the shop with permission from manufacturer, hence the disk is that of original operating system.

If you want to install Win 7, you will have to purchase the disk, format your hard drive and do a clean install onto your machine, You will also render your recovery partition useless or you could remove it and set up a win 7 recovery partition, takes to long to explain that here. This is important, you will also void your warranty if you remove or change the operation system, all manufacturers claim they make significant changes to the OS to run on their machines and will not accept a generic OS.

The plus side of going for win 7 is that you will probably be happier, you already have the device drivers on disk and installing for a generic win 7 install means you will not be getting any blotware from your manufacture which tends to be the main agent why new computers are sluggish.

j
    Galway Laptop Surgery
    Why does my homepage keep reverting back to Bing ?
    I set Google.ie as my homepage and it works fine until I shut the laptop down then when I start it up again it has returned to Bing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭johneire31

chopper666 wrote: »
    Why does my homepage keep reverting back to Bing ?
    I set Google.ie as my homepage and it works fine until I shut the laptop down then when I start it up again it has returned to Bing ?

What browser are you using and where are you changing settings?

Screen shots would be a good help in helping you if possible

j
    Galway Laptop Surgery

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Probably the "Modern UI" version of Internet Explorer... which doesn't care for the default homepage settings in Internet Options. ;)

If you want to change the hompage, you'll have to edit the registry:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
    "Local Page"="www.google.ie"
    "Start Page"="http://www.google.ie/"

Or simply pin Google to your start screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SJ_IRL

I have the i5 Lifebook and those disks are just different versions of already preloaded Fujitsu software for Win7 and 8.

Also pretty sure it comes with regular 64-bit Win8 and not Pro.

Advertisement