Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay film archive

Options
  • 25-08-2013 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

2013 marks 20 years of decriminalisation of same-sex recognition in Ireland. A 40 year anniversary was celebrated in the UK in 2007 with a film history on BBC. I was lucky to record archive material from that period - Joe Orton, Joe Meek, Brian Epstein, W.H. Auden, Liberace, K Williams, Hidden Lives, Sir John talking to Press, Naked Civil Servant, Children's Hour etc. Anyone have similar material to share to celebrate 20 years in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,982 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I think Edmund Lynch has a documentary and a book coming out

IQA hosts a lot of stuff in the National Library

http://irishqueerarchive.com/collections/

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Logo

Thanks for the information mango salsa. Really interesting and important coverage for the academic - would prefer footage film/ interesting gay Ireland ordinary life.

Know this is the silly season for the media. Any RTé heads on here - and chance doing a gay retrospective season? (great opportunity for someone - Mooney? Are you listening?). Micheál Mac Liammóir springs to mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,982 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Edmund Lynch made "did anyone notice us"

Karl Hayden has a great youtube channel - there is some really great stuff on it of tge early days of GLEN

http://m.youtube.com/#/user/KarlHayden?&desktop_uri=%2Fuser%2FKarlHayden

http://www.ifi.ie/film/lgbt-history-month-did-anybody-notice-us/

I am sure they both have lots of footage

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

As far as I know there are a few things being recorded/researched at the moment- not sure if its specifically for the anniversary or for something else.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the feedback mango salsa & baby and crumble. Do you know if the current research is RTé-based or an independent study?

Advertisement