Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Waxing Lyrical' Fad

Options
  • 25-08-2013 2:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

Did anyone else notice this? It was like people had learned a new phrase and were dying to let everyone hear it. Seemed to start about a year ago, it was all over news articals, radio shows, even football pundits were 'waxing lyrical' about this and that 'set play'

It seems to be tapering off now thank god, it was driving me fecking nuts.

Anyone else notice any other language fads coming and going?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,890 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I wonder will Mayo bring their A game to Croke Park today and will the Tyrone players take their All Ireland medals out of their back pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Did anyone else notice this? It was like people had learned a new phrase and were dying to let everyone hear it. Seemed to start about a year ago, it was all over news articals, radio shows, even football pundits were 'waxing lyrical' about this and that 'set play'

It seems to be tapering off now thank god, it was driving me fecking nuts.

Anyone else notice any other language fads coming and going?
    Happens a lot really, I usually become aware of it on AH in fact.
    Hard to recall them all as they come and go; 'Red tops' (in reference to tabloid newspapers) was one that I remember well for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Sinfonia wrote: »
    Hard to recall them all as they come and go; 'Red tops' (in reference to tabloid newspapers) was one that I remember well for some reason.
    The Wire really was quite influential, eh? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ladiesman216

Since i was 'Knee high to a grasshopper'...........drove me fcukin mad when I heard someone say it...apes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Billy86 wrote: »
    The Wire really was quite influential, eh? ;)

Haha, took me a minute...

"Got them yellow tops!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Didn't really get "for the win" or FTW when it first came in. Still don't really get it to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

'Waxing lyrical' and 'set play' are fad terms now? :confused:

Alternatively, welcome to speaking the English language!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Mispronunciation of words gets on my wick in a big way. Particularly when it gives the sentence in which it is contained a completely different meaning.

Mispronunciation of words gets on my wick in a big way. Particularly when it gives the sentence in which it is contained a completely different meaning.
    A bit off topic, but then/than drives me spare: "it was bigger then a house". Then a house what? What did the house do?

There are some other similar ones that I can't think of right now also. Hopefully they become a fad, but I doubt it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

"Going forward" bugs me

Also,the misuse of the word "literally" has really taken off.i heard a piece on the Last Word last Friday where they were discussing bad grammar and punctuation.The lady presenting said that "punctuation has literally gone to the dogs". I was very confused.

Oh,and footballers saying "obviously" during interviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

One phrase that has really taken over football and is here to stay is 'at the end of the day'.
    Next time you watch a match count how many times the commentators, managers and players say it.

One that's died off a lot when referred to American "The US of A" .

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭the deftone

One phrase that has really taken over football and is here to stay is 'at the end of the day'.
    Next time you watch a match count how many times the commentators, managers and players say it.

Another good football one is "to be fair...."

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

And there was me thinking this would be a pics or gtfo of coiffured treble clefs and minims in posters crotch(et)s.
    Though I'm probably thinking of lyrical waxing.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Also,the misuse of the word "literally" has really taken off.

So much so that it's no longer abuse. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23729570

Advertisement