Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wonders of Google...

Options
  • 24-08-2013 11:10pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've just searched Google for joseph herbert md obituary using the pages from Ireland option in the hope of finding something on a name that's new to my tree.
    Nothing relevant to Joseph turned up but remarkably the first result Google spat out is a photo of a headstone from IGP of Murray's who are first cousins of the Herbert's!
    As frustrating as it can be sometimes, when things like that happen it makes it all worth while!:)

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Mr. Google has also been very nice to me too with ancestor information. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've found things ranging from photographs of relatives gravestones in the UK and actual books written about another (a Bishop in the US) via Google. And more often, unfortunately, obituaries for people I assumed still alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Google is a little like searching an encyclopaedia - if the search criteria is not right you won't get the required answer. It often pays to change the criteria and using inverted commas when you want a "certain phrase" in the answer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

But in my case the 'wrong' criteria gave the 'right' answer - sort of...:)

On the subject of searching etc. don't forget to try searching for surnames in the forename box and vice versa when names you expect to find aren't showing up on the likes of the census.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Entering a name on the census always catches me out. Irishgenealogy, Findmypast and Ancestry all require first name to be entered first, and last name entered last. The NLI Census site reversed that process and a lot of the time I don't even realise that I've entered a name in incorrectly.

• Advertisement

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    ...a lot of the time I don't even realise that I've entered a name in incorrectly.

That's no bad thing as sometimes the person filling out the census did the same thing.
    In my case I was looking for someone with the surname Joseph and discovered a return for a Joseph Bridgeman and family who I hadn't encountered before owing to their error.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

I found this recently on one of my 5 x great grandfathers. I've emailed the contributor and he's got back to me with the details and supporting evidence.

I've known his name for quite a few years and knew some of the details of his life but never in such detail. I only found this quite recently. Some of their story reads like a film!

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=106478791

That's quite a write up!
    So many names, places and dates...

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    I've just searched Google for joseph herbert md obituary using the pages from Ireland option...

I've just repeated that search and it doesn't work any more.:confused::confused::confused:

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement