Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you know First Aid?

Options
  • 24-08-2013 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

Edit: I mean real first aid: resuscitation, removing people from burning cars, providing oxygen to someone who's not breathing etc. - After having taking a course by a first aid professional.

I recently moved to Germany and I'm currently in the process of obtaining my German driving license. An obligatory requirement before I can even sit my driving test is that I'm qualified in first aid.

So today I took my class.. I've always kinda wanted to take a class on first aid, as before today, if someone had a heart attack in front of me, my first instinction would be to lie the person on their side (which I learned today is of absolute no help, and could possibly worsen the situation).. We learned in 6 hours, CPR, all different road accident situations involving motorbikes, lack of a pulse, burning cars, not breathing and what to do in each situation.

I found it an amazing common sense policy that persons with a driving license must have this training, as who knows what can happen and who will be the first to the scene of an emergency. Why isn't this in place in Ireland? I can only guess how many deaths could be prevented from road accidents if every passing driver knew first aid and what to do in the situation instead of standing around waiting for an ambulance.

The course cost me all of €20 quid. I done a quick google search and found Safety Ireland courses costing €100 per person to attend a first aid course... WTF?! The average joe soap could hardly afford this.

I'm not claiming to be righteous with my new first aid certificate. And if I had seriously thought about it in Ireland, and inquired to find out it was €100 - I wouldn't be the first to sign up considering the cost.

So, to get an idea what the chances of surviving on a Country road after a crash, with an ambulance 20 minute away my question to you is: Could you perform first aid to someone who's life depended on it?

Can you perform first aid? 36 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 36 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Did a course years and years ago but have forgotten most of it.

Thinking of doing a course....you just never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

Yep, used it twice, saved a persons life with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Yes I would be capable, hopefully I will never need to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Yep, used it twice, saved a persons life with it!

The old dear in the airport? She's probably since popped her cloggs. You didn't save her, you just delayed the inevitable.

I jest, I jest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I know first aid. Dunno if I would use it, depends on the situation I suppose.

Good to have in case anything happens in the home I suppose. A lot of it is really just comforting and making sure a victim doesn't do further damage to themselves until the pros arrive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

Yes I would be capable, hopefully I will never need to.

Did you learn from a professional or do you think you'd be capable because you've seen it done in the movies? :pac:

Serious question though.

I know first aid. Dunno if I would use it, depends on the situation I suppose.

Good to have in case anything happens in the home I suppose. A lot of it is really just comforting and making sure a victim doesn't do further damage to themselves until the pros arrive.

Not necessarily, what if the person isn't breathing and doesn't have a pulse? A pillow and cup of tea wouldn't be of much use then.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Yes, do a course every two years and a de-fib refresher each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

First Aid, and use of AED Machine.

Drakares wrote: »
    Did you learn from a professional or do you think you'd be capable because you've seen it done in the movies? :pac:

Serious question though.

I learned from professionals. However, I'm naturally amazeballs with plasters!
    Not necessarily, what if the person isn't breathing and doesn't have a pulse? A pillow and cup of tea wouldn't be of much use then.

Comforting, calming and reassuring a casualty is vital if they are conscious though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Learned first aid and got my cert when I was a kid. Had to use it several times on my mam when she kept having seizures. One was scary as fcuk because she cut her neck open when falling into the marble mantlepiece while falling down to have a seizure.

Gave some man mouth to mouth in the shopping centre I work in, too.

Hopefully I'll never have to use it again. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

Not necessarily, what if the person isn't breathing and doesn't have a pulse?

Is this the "What are your turn-ons?" thread, cause that's hot!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Unless your smothering them with the pillow! :P

We were told that if they have no pulse the chances of CPR working are slim. The real priority is getting an AED as quickly as possible.

For things like cuts and fractures, to burns and choking its good, which all is covered in the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

I know the basics and have a certificate in using the defib machine.

For things like cuts and fractures, to burns and choking its good, which all is covered in the course.
    Between 14 and 45% isn't that low IMO. Most important thing is the person received it within 6 mins of when they stop breathing.

If anything, it's much better than a kick in the stones and I think it should be known by everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Yep, have a fairly decent knowledge of first aid. Keep the head and focus pretty well in an emergency too.

Dunno how, cos I'm a scatterbrained loo-la for most of the day :p

• Registered Users Posts: 30,429 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Well I am trained in first aid but that doesn't mean I am good at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Sauve wrote: »
    Yep, have a fairly decent knowledge of first aid. Keep the head and focus pretty well in an emergency too.

Dunno how, cos I'm a scatterbrained loo-la for most of the day :p

Me too! I'm completely ditzy 90% of the time, but as soon as an emergency pops up, I get cool, calm and collected and just get shít sorted.

Then start shaking and crying after. :pac:

Keeping the head of the injured person....you mean personally keep it or keep it attached to their body?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Keeping the head of the injured person....you mean personally keep it or keep it attached to their body?

I have a cabinet in the good room

<.<.
    >.>.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Yup Rec 3 certified

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

I learned first aid while serving in the British army.

I worked as a bouncer for MANY years in Dublin city center.

I saved the lives of two American tourists in the space of 3 weeks.

How many of you hate me for the above 3 facts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

bumper234 wrote: »

0?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Arawn wrote: »
    0?

Facts are true question was a joke. My friends always used to rip me about them saying they made me the most hated man in Dublin....especially the saving of the American tourists:D

bumper234 wrote: »

Heh

I have a cabinet in the good room

<.<.
    >.>.

I keep thinking that I'm in the turn-ons thread for some reason...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

Yep, mandatory for my summer job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Yeah I am, I think everyone should. But people need refreshers at least every two years. The amount of people that reckon they knew what to do in an emergency, and in reality have a vague notion, is mad and dangerous.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Yup, trained first aider from doing iws rescues. Can do basic life supports no problem at all. I'm going to finish them off next summer hopefully.

Its something I think everyone should know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I did a course but have forgotten most of it.

The only thing I would be confident in attempting would be the Heimlich.

Advertisement