Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to shoot?

Options
  • 24-08-2013 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hey.
    I'm pretty new to Archery. I did an eight week beginners course with a club last month and have found a bow I'd like to buy. I didn't like the club, and don't want to join one yet. I'm wondering if there is a safe area or way to shoot for now. I know I can't shoot in public but can I, for example, shoot in a friend's field with permission from them? I've looked at Courtlough Shooting Grounds, which is an option, but an expensive one. Has anyone done archery there?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Misa-san wrote: »
    Hey.
    I'm pretty new to Archery. I did an eight week beginners course with a club last month and have found a bow I'd like to buy. I didn't like the club, and don't want to join one yet. I'm wondering if there is a safe area or way to shoot for now. I know I can't shoot in public but can I, for example, shoot in a friend's field with permission from them? I've looked at Courtlough Shooting Grounds, which is an option, but an expensive one. Has anyone done archery there?

Thanks.

Hi Misa-san

The main thing of concern when shooting outside of a club is safety. You must ensure that there is absolutely no way that a stray arrow could cause a danger to any other human or animal. You should also try and be as far away from any members of the public as possible. What would you use as a target/shoot at?

Then there is also the question of equipment. I am not sure if it was explained to you, but it's not just a case of picking up a bow and arrows and heading off to shoot. The arrows must be matched to your draw length and draw weight. Also the bow will need to be tuned for you. If it's a new bow, the it will require initial set up. If it is a second hand bow, then the previous owners tune may not suit you.

These are all things that the club coach(es) would help and advise on. Shooting with badly matched arrows or a badly tuned bow can be at best frustrating as the arrows will be hard to tune and it can be dangerous. You could possibly seriously injure yourself.

I would advise caution. Are there any other clubs near which you can attend? You would not need to do another beginner course with them. You would just have to show the new club coach that you are proficient and understand the basics and the safety rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Misa-san

Thanks for your reply. I was planning on using a wooden or foam target to shoot at, and try to get some netting for behind it to catch arrows? I was hoping the archery shop that I was looking at buying the bow from would help me find arrows to match. I will look into other archery clubs as I understand it is the best/safest option. Are there any major laws regarding shooting? Other than not in public places. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Mullingar Archery

Did you know that there is a an archery range in a park in public park in Athboy Co Meath. The park is called CowPark and it has a 30mt range built by the council some years ago. Its not used much as the local club has a full 90mt range at the other end of the town. There are plans to extend the 30mts to 90mts and about 30 targets wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Netting to catch arrows? You do know that a net is just a load of holes tied together with string? Wouldn't be ideal for stopping a pointed projectile...

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Misa-san

Thanks, it's quite far from me but it might be nice for a day out, I'll look into it!

And I didn't mean a normal piece of netting, something like this http://www.flybowshop.com/images/netting_520.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Midnight64

endacl wrote: »
    Netting to catch arrows? You do know that a net is just a load of holes tied together with string? Wouldn't be ideal for stopping a pointed projectile...

I think that they take that into account when they manufacture it specifically to do the job.

http://www.harrod.uk.com/Sports/More%20Sports/Products/74

Just one example.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Don't have the netting tied down, leave it so it can move with the arrow, and don't trust it with high poundages. Old carpet can be slung over a rope too but as it degrades it becomes pretty useless.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Advertisement