Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

California to Ireland - I'm moving to Ireland in a few months so..

Options
  • 24-08-2013 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Greetings everyone, first of all, why am I not allowed to upload a profile picture? This is my first time posting on this site, My name is Samantha and I'm moving to Ireland in the beginning of the year? Why, why Ireland? Adventure, wanting to travel, to get away from America, and its a beautiful country, I shouldn't have to explain that! :D I don't know anyone in Ireland, I'm still not sure of where I'm going to settle in, but I've heard Dublin can be expensive and a little unsafe, so I'm thinking Galway as of now.. I know the economy is tough, but it seems that way in many places.. I obviously need to find work, figure out living arrangements.. so if anyone has any suggestions, advice or anything of that sort please reply! I would appreciate all the help! Any questions feel free, I need all the friends I can get!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭airbus125

My advice would be Swords about 15kms from Dublin city centre. The airport is right beside it, there is plenty of housing options and there is a bus into the city on average every 10 mins. Also very safe with low crime rates. Great big shopping centre (mall) for going clothes and food shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

What will your status be? Can you legally work? What type of work are you seeking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Any excuse to randomly pimp this... http://entertainment.ie/wtf/Watch-Canadian-couple-documented-their-trip-to-Ireland-and-made-us-look-amazing/202797.htm

It's the Canadian couples holiday video. For anyone who hasn't seen it, make sure you do - it's awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ssalas89

Im getting a holiday work visa :D

Ill have to check out swords, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

ssalas89 wrote: »
    Greetings everyone, first of all, why am I not allowed to upload a profile picture? This is my first time posting on this site, My name is Samantha and I'm moving to Ireland in the beginning of the year? Why, why Ireland? Adventure, wanting to travel, to get away from America, and its a beautiful country, I shouldn't have to explain that! :D I don't know anyone in Ireland, I'm still not sure of where I'm going to settle in, but I've heard Dublin can be expensive and a little unsafe, so I'm thinking Galway as of now.. I know the economy is tough, but it seems that way in many places.. I obviously need to find work, figure out living arrangements.. so if anyone has any suggestions, advice or anything of that sort please reply! I would appreciate all the help! Any questions feel free, I need all the friends I can get!

Boards.ie users generally don't share pictures of what they look like. That's why there is no function in your profile to upload a picture of yourself.

If you gave some information about the kind of work you are looking for, you'd probably get better suggestions and advice. What kind of accommodation are you are looking for? Do you want a house, an apartment, are you ok with sharing or do you want your own place etc etc

There sub forums here that are specific to Dublin, Galway and finding places to live.

Dublin

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=474

Galway

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=177

Accommodation

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=38

The websites daft.ie and myhome.ie are good sources for info on what is out there and prices and what not.

Thanks ill check out those sites! Im an interior designer, but my holiday visa will only let me have casual work, Im looking to share or rent a room in a house if possible, nothing fancy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Where in California are you from?

Galway is a really lovely city; I haven't lived there, but from what I hear, it's great, a lot of fun; quite small.
    I'm from Dublin, and within Ireland, I can't really imagine living anywhere else. Dublin is the biggest city Ireland has, although it's not *that* big. It's the capital too, and it's where the largest centralised population is too.
    You're probably aware already (but maybe not..?), but European capitals tend to be very much the 'main' city in their countries, rather than just a governmental hub as is often the case with US state capitals. So in California for example, Sacramento is a bit bland, and people tend to think more of LA and SF as it's 'main' cities of interest.

As mentioned, daft.ie is the best site for looking for accommodation.
    Craigslist isn't really popular at all, compared to the US and Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I have no experience of such a move, I went the the over way, but Galway is a fine choice.
    Americans gave a good reputation generally as hard workers so thatll help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I would recommend Galway to the high heavens. Lovely place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Not just work, but also transportation around the country. What is the public transport like in Galway?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Just saying... You're fine!

...:pac:

Not just work, but also transportation around the country. What is the public transport like in Galway?

Galway City would be closer in size to Bellingham rather than Seattle.
    There are buses to get around, but in the city, you'd be grand walking it..!

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

I'd stay out of Dublin if I was you.
    Unless you like multi-culturism and junkies.
    Doubt you're coming to Ireland to see that.
    To see the real Ireland you have to venture out of Dublin and head into the wilds.
    We've loads of empty properties in the wild and rent is as cheap as french fries (doesn't quite sound the same).
    Try and makes some friends online before you come.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,145 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Timmyctc wrote: »
    I would recommend Galway to the high heavens. Lovely place.

Not a patch on Swords in fairness though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭dobman88

Only ever been to Galway once but had a great time. Lovely town.

I am from Killarney, it is a small town in County Kerry, and places are always hiring. Waitresses, bartenders, receptionists etc. Most jobs in the Hotel and Bar trade. Even in winter places are hiring because some people come here to work for the summer and go home or holiday in the winter. Also, we don't have a college or university here so you have more chance of landing a job when you don't have to compete with students.

If you plan on moving around Ireland and want to do it on the cheap with a few days in each town/city then try https://www.couchsurfing.org/ It is full of people just travelling and getting a bed or couch for a night or two. You can also "rate" the people you meet so you can avoid the weirdos :)

Best of luck in Ireland, have a great time here :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

Preasetoshowpapers.jpg

Jesus. As if multiculturalism were a bad thing; and the "multiculturalism" in Dublin isn't a patch on most major North American cities.
    And you make it sound like junkies are omnipresent, which is bull****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Being a ventilator for when you see the price of gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

This is odd. She's coming from California.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Lol. Ooh 15 love to Seattle !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

you might never want to leave Galway

just warning you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

OP, send a private message to Norwesterner to find out where they're from. As you can clearly see, we've got our share of rural weirdos with inferiority complexes, too. They're usually best avoided and as you can also see, they won't want you bringing any of your own culture to the table whatsoever. In Dublin though, we've learned to embrace different cultures, strange as that might sound to this guy.

In truth, Dublin and Galway are both really nice spots. Save money for a car, mind - the great part about Ireland that might blow your mind is that no matter where you are in the Republic, you can drive to any other part usually within 3-4 hours. It's a big advantage since if you have the money saved initially, you'll be able to bounce around a few different places and pick-and-choose.

Also, if you do plan on driving here, make sure to get your international licence beforehand (you won't get insured on a non-EU licence in Ireland - I work in insurance). On top of this, get something from your current insurance company in the US to state that you have been insured with them for over six years with no accidents or claims (it must list specific dates, so say 25/08/08 - 25/08/13 will do). Also get an email address or two from that company, in case anything needs to be followed up on. Insurance in Ireland is weird and kind of a cartel of sorts, so without these things you will (not 'could', will) literally wind up paying over €1,000 to get insured on something about the size and power of a Smartcar. Companies rapidly reduce the cost of their insurance for each of those 5/6 years you have no claims, but the starting prices are borderline criminal. Just a heads up!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭marty66

Not a patch on Swords in fairness though.

Swords is really an industrial suburb. Galway is considered the artistic capital of Ireland. If shopping is your thing then Swords is your best option but if culture and nights out do it for you then I recommend Galway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

marty66 wrote: »
    ...Galway is considered the artistic capital of Ireland..

A lot of public artists, amirite? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

wateford city is pretty nice , no too big, not too small. people are generally friendly and approachable

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

She's coming to see Ireland not a mini version of what she's leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Doubt you're coming to Ireland to see that.
    To see the real Ireland you have to venture out of Dublin and head into the wilds.
    We've loads of empty properties in the wild and rent is as cheap as french fries (doesn't quite sound the same).
    Try and makes some friends online before you come.

I know a girl from Cali. She was in a few places here in Ireland and said Dublin was the best place she had been. Coming from Cali, you will consider Dublin to be a small city and the other cities will be towns. Dublin is realistically the best place to find some work, but it will be more expensive accommodation wise.

Swords is OK, but there are plenty of other options on the north fringe. There are only a few places you might prefer to avoid. A room will cost you €400-€500 per month. Double that and you might get a one and maybe even a 2 bed apartment. Lots of them in Belmayne and Clongriffin, which is closer to the city, but still deep in the suburbs and also right beside the airport. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions OP.

Advertisement