Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New laptop for college

Options
  • 24-08-2013 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Looking for a new laptop for college, i5/i7 processor, 6-8GB RAM, dedicated graphics card and at least 500GB hard drive. Budget around €600-€700. After much research I narrowed it down to these two:
    The Fujitsu Lifebook AH532:
    http://www.harveynorman.ie/fujitsu-lifebook-ah532-m4562gb.html
    i5, 8GB RAM, 1GB Nvidia graphics card and 1TB storage, all for €599 which I think is a really good deal.
    The Toshiba Satellite L855-188
    http://www.harveynorman.ie/toshiba-satellite-l855-laptop.html
    i7, 6GB RAM, 2GB AMD Radeon graphics card and 1TB storage, for €799, which is a bit outside my budget but looks very good value for money.
    I'd be using the laptop for browsing, typing up projects, maths based software and maybe some light gaming.
    So my question is, is it worth paying the extra €200 for the i7 and the better graphics card? Also I would hope that the computer would last me for the four years of my degree, so from people's experience would Fujitsu or Toshiba have good build quality and how long lasting would they be? Thanks for taking the time to read through all this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Acer Core i7 latop at SOL for £500 (€598 delivered).

HN don't give any details re the "dedicated graphics cards", googling the Fujitsu, it's most likely a GT 620M, which is a joke, Intel HD 4000 is just as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SJ_IRL

Just picked up the Lifebook AH532(i5) for college as well.
    HN also threw in this 16" laptop sleeve for free.
    It gets 4-5 hours on battery life even using WiFi.

Advertisement