Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 10 Favourite Videogame Series

Options
  • 24-08-2013 11:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭

In no particular order except number one spot

10.Streets Of Rage
    9.Sonic The Hedgehog
    8. Fallout
    7.Silent Hill
    6.The Legend Of Zelda
    5.Shenmue
    4.Ico/Sotc
    3.Metal Gear Solid
    2.Persona
    1. Demon/Dark Souls

Honourable Mentions : Metroid , Phantasy Star, Nights , Panzar Dragoon, Yakuza, Pokemon, Mario, Resident Evil, Valkyria Chronicles

What is your top 10 ? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

oh boy, one more top something list.... Sorry, but I burned out of those after so many years on boards...

• Site Banned Posts: 257 ✭✭Driveby Dogboy

dizzy
    bubble bobble/ rainbow islands
    snake / snakeII
    sonic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

In no particular order

10. Tom Clancy series
    9. Sonic The Hedgehog
    8. Civilization
    7. Arma
    6. The Legend Of Zelda
    5. Total war series (ie rome , rome 2 out soon )
    4. Super mario
    3. Metal Gear Solid
    2. Battlefield
    1. Command and Conquer (under westwood)

Honourable Mentions : Metroid , splinter cell, empire earth , anno, super mario kart, gran turismo, need for speed, call of duty, Sim city, Chivalry , Hawx.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,871 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

10: Age of Empires
    9: Half Life
    8: Call of Duty
    7: Mario library
    6: Rollercoaster Tycoon
    5: inFamous
    4: God of War
    3: Assassins Creed
    2: Mortal Kombat
    1: Legacy of Kain

Can only think of 9, and from 9 to 3 may not be in order, but 2 and 1 are spot on. A game needs to either be great fun, or have an excellent story for me to genuinely like them.

Edit: Added AoE and RC, removed the lego games, as some of them are quite pants!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,353 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

in no particular order but these are some of the series of games I have enjoyed down the years

Splinter Cell
    Hitman
    Half Life
    Elder Scrolls
    Metal Gear Solid
    Resident Evil (1-4)
    Knights of the old Republic
    Medal of Honor
    Battlefield
    Mass Effect

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

stalker
    witcher
    blood
    quake
    age of empires
    descent
    tropico
    red faction (i actually hate every one of them after red faction 1, but I love that so much it still comes out positive)
    max payne
    battlezone

• Registered Users Posts: 22,335 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

commander keen
    megaman
    donkey kong
    mario
    toca/race driver
    wipeout
    resident evil
    battlefield
    tekken
    mariokart

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

oh boy, one more top something list.... Sorry, but I burned out of those after so many years on boards...

I wouldn't mind these list threads at all if the poster actually gave a line or two description on why they chose the game/film/book.

I like those list threads.

This isn't one of those threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Garzard

In no particular order, mine would have to be:

1: Mario + MK series
    2: SSX
    3: GTA series
    4: Lego Star Wars
    5: Uncharted
    6: Call of Duty 4 onwards
    7: IL-2 Sturmovik
    8: Assassin's Creed
    9: Battlefield Bad Company onwards
    10: WipeOut series

I'd include the following games on the list if they'd been made into series, which unfortunately they didn't - Jak & Daxter, and Motorsiege: Warriors of Primetime. All excellent games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

In no order at all:

Rayman
    FIFA
    Sonic
    Mario
    Zelda
    Donkey Kong
    Need for Speed
    Forza
    Wipeout
    Mortal Kombat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭HibernianRunner

Total War Series
    Stalker series
    Mount and Blade series
    Call of Duty- up to 4
    Europa Universalis
    Red Orchestra
    COH
    Elder Scrolls

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Monkey Island
    XCOM
    Football Manager
    Need for Speed
    GTA
    SimCity
    Lemmings
    Warhammer 40k
    CounterStrike
    Left 4 Dead

I cannot put an order to some of these game series. Could really do with a new Monkey Island to fill the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Honourable mentions are cheating! However, since I haven't played the 3rd one and the 2nd one is ****e I regrettably cannot put Deus Ex in here, even though the first one is one of the greatest games ever made.

Civ
    I have pissed so many hours up the wall on these games, starting with playing the first one on the Macs in college, then rebooting the system when the security guard came around to make sure we were doing proper work. I'm still the same cowardly peacenik I was back then, but now the game lets me win with love (well, culture). I do miss having my stealth bomber knocked out of the sky by a spear though.

Metroid
    Really this is just Super Metroid, which I still play, as I never got far with the Primes and have little time for the first one, but I still get excited when they come out and buy them, that's what this is all about right?

Mariokart
    Again, a wasted youth. I used to be able to jump red shells or time a green so the leader would spin out on that jump and fall back into last place. Good times, sore hands. Not all of them were winners. Ok, all of them were except Mariokart 64 which missed the point about how the game was all about the handling. Needs a little bit of a shakeup for the new edition, but they've earned the right to coast for a while, I guess

Zelda
    OK, I recognise that it's basically the same game every single time. But it's a bloody good game and I am more than happy to play it over and over. No one seems to get dungeon design the way these guys do, dangling the final room just outside your grip until you work up to it, creating natural checkpoints just when you need a boost to tell you you're making progress, and the last couple of outing have come up with some inventive new mechanics to keep it if not fresh then the right side of stale.

Aki wrestling games
    The N64 Aki games - WCW, WCW vs NWO, Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy - how can you perfect the gameplay, expand it to perfect the gameworld around it and then spend the next 13 years ****ing it up? HAd I been any older or younger when I discovered these, I might not have had the time to set up 40-man royal rumbles with Knock Out eliminations only. But I wasn't older or younger. So I did. And they were awesome - Roddy Piper for the win!

Pokemon
    There's another one coming in October. I know I shouldn't. I know it's not worth it, it's more of the same, but I'm going to buy it on day one, possibly twice. Please help me.

Halflife
    It's hard to explain now, like trying to explain a world before Sky+ to my kids who want to rewind the cinema. But the first time the mindless fodder you're shooting at shouts "Grenade!" and runs away, then tries to flank you you get this shiver... And then a few years later they made a character-driven game about shooting aliens that kept reinventing itself every time you thought you had a handle on how to play it. Supoib!

GTA
    I used to play this on a 486, and it stuttered something awful when the map was loading. The great thing was, this happened usually when I drove at high speed around a corner so I'd brody into traffic in slo-mo. This was the first game I remember talking to people about where we had stories - dramatic run-and-gun escapes or rampages or chases that only happened to you once and no one else had quite the same experience. And they took that and kept upping the ante with the huge city and gangs in 2, the 3D one, the endless 80's nostalgia of VC etc etc. Wonderful writing married to a delightfully violent playground.

BioWare D&D
    By which I mean Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale and Neverwinter Nights, with a tip of the hat to the Penultima saga for NeverWinter which was superb. If you want to be pedantic and make me pick one I'd go with Neverwinter - the second one lost it's way but when Aurora went live for NWN and people just started to create, it was magical. An MMO before there were MMOs, a never ending single player game that could still be plot driven. You could roll a single character and take them through a handful of different modules acquiring loot and skills and experience along the way, or play a well crafted campaign with ready-made toons. Oh, and there was a decent expansive retail game in there somewhere too but that very much played second fiddle.

Rock Band
    I don't care. I liked them and I still do. Splinter Cell never got me to tape a mic to a broom handle and pretend to be Bob Dylan. With the exception of City of Heroes and maybe WWF Wrestlemania 2000 I've never spent so much time just getting my avatar right. Yeah the gameplay is silly, but it's a damn sight less immersion-destroying than using buttons and a stick to perfom kicks, punches and jumps. The Fire and the Flames was made to be played on 5 buttons, not 24 frets!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Garzard wrote: »

I'd include the following games on the list if they'd been made into series, which unfortunately they didn't - Jak & Daxter, and Motorsiege: Warriors of Primetime. All excellent games.

Did they not make 3 Jak & Daxter games?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Garzard wrote: »

Did they not make 3 Jak & Daxter games?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

1 Resident Evil
    2 Silent Hill
    3 Broken Sword
    4 Mario Rpg
    5 Uncharted
    6 Monkey Island
    7 Streets of Rage
    8 Golden Axe
    9 Metal Gear
    10 Final Fantasy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War
    Halo
    Call of Duty
    Battlefield
    Star Wars Battlefront
    Unreal Tournament
    Bioshock
    Streets of Rage
    Command & Conquer
    Fallout

• Registered Users Posts: 12,353 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War
    Halo
    Call of Duty
    Battlefield
    Star Wars Battlefront
    Unreal Tournament
    Bioshock
    Streets of Rage
    Command & Conquer
    Fallout

no Max Payne?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

In no order at all:

Uncharted
    : The video game equivalent of playing a huge summer blockbuster. Great setpieces, funny dialogue, characters you actually care about, a wise cracking hero, decent female characters, fantastic production values.

Mario: The spinoff games can be hugely hit and miss, when they're good you get stuff like Mario Kart, bad would be some of the sports games. but the main series (SMB-Mario World, 64, Sunshine, Galaxy 1&2 etc) are some of the finest video game experiences you'll ever have.

GTA- IV was a misstep into taking it too seriously and taking out the fun, hopefully V will inject the mayhem back into it. Probably the only game where obeying traffic lights is something you do while bored.

Zelda- a mute hero, variations on the same world and mechanics but every game seems to better the last, probably Nintendo's crowning glory franchise.

Street Fighter- SFII redefined the fighting game, after a long run of rehashed variations III took it to a new level and IV brought fighting games back to the masses after the genre took a step back from the mainstream.

God of War- Stunning scale and production values, sure the combat system is as deep as a puddle and Kratos is a one dimensional shouty character, but when the setpieces are as massive and gorgeous looking as they are you can look past the misgivings.

Call of Duty- The franchise has come to represent so many negatives about the industry, yearly updates, expensive DLC, shouty teenage fanboys, rehashed engines instead of pushing creative advances. But COD4 is still one of the best multiplayer games you'll ever play, and MW2 was hugely ambitious in it's scale and production values, the Hans Zimmer score and decent actor filled voiceover work. Many,many a hilarious night was spent playing with boardsies on the various games.

Metroid
    - Super Metroid's opening is stunning, even now it manages to create an atmosphere current gen games can't manage at times, Prime showed how to move a franchise from 2D to 3D brilliantly.

Streets of Rage- 3 is mostly crap, including a godawful musical score, but the first two games are great fun and have really fond memories of them, 2 especially. A pounding techno musical score with really memorable themes, some cool levels, loads of moves and enemies (granted they're mostly colour variants but still), one of the best games on the Megadrive.

Resident Evil- awful voice acting, hammy dialogue, hilarious fmv cutscenes, tank controls, convoluted ways of doing everything, brilliance :pac:

Half Life- blew everyone away in 1998, then again in 2004, and will again, eh...whenever the next one comes out? So many iconic moments in the games and expansion packs, and in the spinoffs like Team Fortress, Counter Strike and Portal games Valve has created a HL universe that's always brilliant to play and hilariously funny at times.

Burnout
    - well more specifically Burnout 3, which is the best arcade racing game ever made imo, wasn't crazy about Paradise and the open world mechanic, a HD remake of 3 is long overdue.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,335 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Here's my original list with comments
    In no particular order

1. Commander Keen
    I played with it for hours as a youngster on our old 286 pc. It was one of the first games developed by the legendary ID software studios (of Doom and Quake fame) They were 'Shareware' and i got the disks off a nerd friend who probably got them off a pc magazine or the shop in town that used to sell demo disks for like 3 quid each. I played them to death until one day I finally got my hands on a full version.
    It was good ould craic

2. Megaman
    Megaman on the NES was awesome platforming loveliness. Took a lot of dedication to beat the games but there was always something more to experience on the next level. When you beat a boss you got to play with his abilities so you got to ammass a mega man army as the game progressed.
    I played the games on the NES and the SNES and they're probably still making them but they were at their best back in the late 80s early 90s

3.Donkey Kong
    I still play these games sometimes. The graphics were and still are beautiful and every level is different. And I still hate those a%%hole bees!!

4.Mario
    Super Mario Brothers was the first game I ever played on a console. My Father bought us a NES for christmas and he stayed up all night playing it before we woke up to the sounds of him collecting coins from a coin stone. The first game is awesome, hard to beat the first time, but when you've mastered it, you can have mario races, where you start at level 1.1 and race through the entire game using warp zones and and beat the final boss as fast as possible. My memory isn't reliable, but I seem to remember our record at beating Mario start to finish was something like 3 minutes.
    Mario 3 was another awesome game and the lost worlds took the levels we had loved and mastered and made them about 10 times harder.

5. Toca/Race Driver
    The first TOCA race driver game made me wish i had a Vauxhal vectra or a honda accord (the honda was the fastest car in the game. The controls were hard to master, really sensitive and twitchy at high speeds, but once you got your breaking points right, you could absolutely fly around the track.
    This was the first game I remember with proper realistic damage to the cars and TOCA 2 was the first game I played in Surround Sound. I remember playing on the Sitting room floor with the sound turned up and hearing a car spin out behind me and thinking that this is the best game ever

6. Wipeout
    Wipeout was hard, really really hard, especially as you moved up to the faster vehicles but it was also unbelievably awesome.
    The music was brilliant, the controls were tricky but consistent so you could master them and the weapons were great. Wipeout 2147 was the game that made it socially acceptable to play video games. The music was all licensed by some of my favourite bands, the game was sharper, smoother and faster than the original and I loved it.

7. Resident evil
    Resident Evil was survival horror, none of this rubbish Dead rising or COD zombie mode that youngsters have these days. In RE1, you spent a lot of the time getting frightened and trying to survive with one bullet left and zombies crashing through walls unannounced.
    RE2 was in the same spirit as RE, but from resident evil 3, it started to turn into a shooter more than a survival horror and it lost some magic.

8. Battlefield
    Nobody else agrees with me, but Battlefield 2 Modern Combat on the PS2 was one of the best games ever. It was the first console game I bought it just for the online multiplayer and i played it for days on end. Don't get this mixed up with the PS3 version, it was a completely different game, but it was the only game on the PS2 where you could drive vehicles, work as a team and shoot other people. It's main rival was the Socom series which were ok, but I never really got into them because the multiplayer was missing something. Socom was alright, but it wasn't fun enough and you kept getting shot in the head by a sniper completely hidden in a full blown Guille suit from halfway across the map. Snipers were in BF2MC too, but if they shoot you once, you get to come back in a chopper and place a rocket up their ass :)
    I've been playing Battlefield 3 on the xbox 360 for over a year and a half now and it's easily the best game for the Xbox (IMO). It's bloody hard though

9. Tekken
    I was gonna say Street fighter because it was fun and everyone's played it, but Tekken is just a better game. The controls were intuitive (each button controls one limb and you can work out combos from there without having to memorise the moves list). The characters were varied and you could pick up the game and play it with someone better than you, and still have some chance of winning just by playing smart. Most other fighting games rely too much on luck or practise (learning off the moves) which makes it less fun to play against friends who have never played it before, and that's what fighting games are supposed to be about.

10 Mariokart
    Mariokart for the SNES was the perfect arcade racing game and the battlemode was brilliant fun
    Mariokart for the WII is still in the top 5 games released on that platform. Perfectly balanced and executed and deserve to make anyone's top 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Hang on, 3D Mario and 2D Mario are counted as the same franchise? That's cheating! It's like listing "games with cars in them". And also means I have to edit my post... :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

No real order, but:

Ratchet and Clank
    God of War
    Dawn of War
    Company of Heroes
    Borderlands
    Left 4 Dead
    Half Life
    Portal
    Pokemon
    Fallout

I know some of those series have only had two games, but they'd be games that on their own would be some of my favorite games, so I include them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

**** i forgot megaman , remove fallout out of my list :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

My list:

Diablo

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Randy Shafter

1. Streets of Rage: Really enjoyed playing this with my brother and just taking on so many bad guys. SoR 3 wasn't so good IMO.

2. Metal Gear Solid: Played MGS on ps1 and loved every second of it. MGS2 & 3 we're even better. Couldn't really get into the fourth one though.

3. GTA: Thoroughly enjoyed all of them. Caused untold amounts of mayhem. Enjoyed 4 but i felt i lacked a certain 'something'. Hope 5 improves on this.

4. Tekken series: My first intro into fighting games. Liked them because they were challenging.

5. Sonic: The first 'proper' game I remember playing. Holds a lot of nostalgic value for me.

6. Golden Axe series: Loved the hack n slash gameplay. Felt like Conan the Barbarian while playing it.

7. Theme Park/Hospital: I loved the zaniness of both. The games didn't take themselves seriously which appealed to me.

8. DOOM series: Got DOOM on shareware then borrowed Ultimate DOOM from a friend and it was my introduction to FPS and in-game gore. Loved DOOM and DOOM 2. DOOM 3 was 'meh'. Enjoyable enough.

9. Command & Conquer: One of the first strategy games that really tested me in terms of money control and making efficient, decisive decisions.

10. Sim City: Played SC2000 and 3K. Enjoyed the planning aspect of both. Haven't picked up 4 or the more recent one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Much the same as everyone else, but I would add timesplitters.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

I'd have Tomb Raider series as my number 1.

i even liked the angel of darkness! :)

Surprised it wasnt mentioned by someone yet in this topic.

Advertisement