Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steve Ballmer exits Microsoft

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

He wasn't axed, he is retiring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

He also hasn't gone yet, will be within the next 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Good move for him financially. MS shares went up 8%, netting him $800m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Good move for him financially. MS shares went up 8%, netting him $800m.

Yeah that was pretty funny, he announces he's going and share prices soar.

Though he's worth more money anyway than a human being could possibly hope to ever spend so not sure $800m will make any difference to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,901 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

the industry is in a bit of a shakeup anyway. Apple is flapping about, android is in need of some kind of serious unification push samsung is on the rise and microsoft is shifting over into supporting more mobile devices. Windows tablet cost (x86) is down to around $300. The same as a touch laptop.

I was teetering on the edge of getting a Lumia phone but windows doesnt have all the bull**** apps I've become emotionally attached to like Waze and these other ones that support all the bull**** I buy at work like wifi enabled wall outlets and motion sensors and activity trackers :pac: I see a hopeful future for them though if the next windows phone OS catches more traction. WP7 and WP8 both seemed to catch progressively larger userbases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

:eek: two heavy hitters axed in the space of a few weeks, seems this is all centered on xbox: http://www.deadline.com/2013/08/steve-ballmer-departure-microsoft-hollywood-analysis/

I greatly doubt this is centered around the One. Ballmer has been around since 2000, this is the guy who oversaw Vista which was a far bigger failure than a bit of internet hubbub over some Xbox features. The guy just wants to retire, I can't imagine being CEO of Microsoft is something anyone wants to do for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭Nollog

danthefan wrote: »
    Yeah that was pretty funny, he announces he's going and share prices soar.

Though he's worth more money anyway than a human being could possibly hope to ever spend so not sure $800m will make any difference to him.

Always happens when there's a possibility of a policy change.
    EA is one of the more recent examples, and of the same industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭worded

Another jobs bridge position available shortly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

• Advertisement
Advertisement