Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where can i buy maggots for fishing???

Options
  • 24-08-2013 12:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

hi, i live near tuam and i am looking for somewhere to buy maggots for fishing. i live near tuam but the tackle shop in tuam does not sell maggots.

do they sell them in corrib tackle and how much do they cost?

i have a maggot farm set up but i am only getting about one maggot every 2 days so i need to buy them :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

I think Rangers In tuam Sell them not sure, Give them a ring meaby ring 11811 they might have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Irish_Fisher

hi, where in tuam is that???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

hi, i live near tuam and i am looking for somewhere to buy maggots for fishing. i live near tuam but the tackle shop in tuam does not sell maggots.

i have a maggot farm set up but i am only getting about one maggot every 2 days so i need to buy them :(

@ Irish_Fisher

You are going the wrong way about looking for maggots i'm afraid.

If you want maggots & free, then bring the truck onto O'Connell street in dublin city and you can collect as many maggots as you like, free of charge, sure even the council will supply you with free large yellow cases to get rid of them, they are better off in the maggot farm than O'Connell street.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Corrib Angling do sell them, not sue of the price though. I'd be guessing around €3 per half pint.
    What exactly do you mean by maggot farm??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

A bin or bucket with a carcass of a dead crow or a rabbit and leave it for two days and bobs your uncle.
    I went away for 4 days and left a few rabbit skins and heads in the bin and when I came back my bin was fcuking moving. They were in it and crawling out of it.
    Turned me stomach because there was so many but usually they don't bother me

• Advertisement

thanks. i already have that done but i am only getting 1 maggot every 2 days :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

thanks. i already have that done but i am only getting 1 maggot every 2 days :(

One maggot??
    Are you leaving it out in the sun?
    It'll be stinking but if that's the way you want maggots its the best way.
    Even big lump of gone off chicken will do the job.

@ viper123

a maggot farm is a bucket with a piece of dead meat in it

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

@ viper123

a maggot farm is a bucket with a piece of dead meat in it

Interesting, but that's not the way I do it. I get a rabbit or some kind of meat and hang it on a branch over a container. The flys lay eggs, maggots develop and once they're ready to pupate they naturally decend and fall into the container. In that way you get nature maggots well fed up and you don't have to go near to the meat.

i dont have to go near the meat. i have a pipe inside the bucket that the maggots crawl up into a small tub with flower or sawdust in it.

this method does work very well but my one doesn't work properly :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 buzzyskip

you can by them at the new tackle shop opposite the weir in Ballina

Advertisement