Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda made me make a wrong statement. What do I do?

Options
  • 23-08-2013 9:37pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 10

Basically my house was searched for weed. My boyfriend answered the door and handed them his bag of weed when they asked if there were drugs in the house. Another bag was found in my brothers bedroom. They asked me if there was any more and I brought them to the living room where my dad had a small amount.
    The guard recorded what they were taking but then made me sign a statement saying all the weed was mine. He said if I didn't do that he was going to have to arrest my boyfriend and brother. At this stage I hadn't told them the weed was my dads, but they knew the rest wasn't mine and I was scared so I didn't want to argue with the guard and provoke him.
    Now I'm worried that I will be charged with possession and even though it was only a small amount (less than 2g altogether) none of it was mine and I don't know what to do about it. I felt intimidated and scared and I would appreciate any advice. For example is it possible for me to change my statement? Or claim Garda harassment as they knew the weed wasn't mine?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Why would sign a statement without reading it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 10 beccaface

I did read it. I knew it was wrong but he was threatening to arrest my brother and boyfriend if I didn't do it. I was very scared and I just wanted then out of my house. I know it was stupid but the guard was getting aggressive and to be honest I just wanted then to be gone with no trouble. I didn't feel like I could argue with him about it.

Also that's not really a very helpful reply. I obviously read the statement if I knew what it said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

Might be time to get a solicitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

What did you physically sign? a sheet of paper or a notepad or what?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Did they have a search warrant? If not why did you let them into your house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

You mention in an earlier post you are in University, so I assume intelligent, so if your story is true get legal advice now.

But a couple of things to discuss with your solicitor, 1 did AgS have a warrant, 2 did you have an opportunity to get legal advice before making a statment to AGS. 3 did AGS caution you before asking any questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

Why would they want you to admit it was yours and not your brother or your boyfriend?

Yes they had a warrant. No I was not offered legal advice first. I signed a statement on the guards notebook like his own personal little black book. I'm going to get a solicitor next week just have exams to finish first so I wanted to ask advice here in the meantime. I don't know why they wanted me to admit it was mine but at the time my brother wasn't home so maybe they didn't want to have to "arrest" him as they said they would and then take 3 statements off me, my brother and boyfriend rather than just mine

And I don't remember if I was cautioned first but now that you mention it I don't think I was. I could be forgetting though but I don't think so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Look on the bright side it's good to see a family with a common interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

even though it was only a small amount (less than 2g altogether)
    The cops wouldn't bother getting a warrant for 2g of cannabis, there must be something more serious going on here that you are suspected of.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Please do as advised above and speak with a solicitor. Exams or not, this should be your priority as it is potentially a serious criminal issue.

Also, for the love of all that is right, please don't seek legal advice on the Internet. Also, read the charter before posting here again, please.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement