Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

squared metal cover in the back garden

Options
  • 23-08-2013 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi We are looking at one property (end of terrace with side entrance). There is a squared metal cover in the back garden. (please see photo attached.)

I am wondering what is that for. There is no EBS sign on it. Hope someone has experience can tell. (I know later I will find out from the survey, but just want to make sure I can offer a reasonable price) Thank you in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭kilclon

Eh lift it up and have a look

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

It looks like a typical sewer or rain water drain cover to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭georgieM

Could be a safe under it. Buy it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Mrshaha

Thank you for your reply. Just wonder if there is any disadvantage of having such a sewer in your back garden? I thought in case the public need repair something, they might require to access your garden or so?

Hopefully you are getting a survey done on the house? If not you definitely should. Your waste water and surface water runoff have to go somewhere. This is most likely simply an inspection chamber at a junction. Usually nothing to be worried about. Your survey will tell you if this is not the case.

• Advertisement

Thank you kilclon, no its not sale agreed yet. only in the offer stage, that's why I need weigh the pros and cos to see how much max we can offer.

Well I'm of the opinion that you should bring someone along to view the house before you put in an offer. It wouldn't have to be a detailed survey at this stage, just a well trained eye who could spot potential deal breakers which you might miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Mrshaha wrote: »
    Hi We are looking at one property (end of terrace with side entrance). There is a squared metal cover in the back garden. (please see photo attached.)

I am wondering what is that for. There is no EBS sign on it. Hope someone has experience can tell. (I know later I will find out from the survey, but just want to make sure I can offer a reasonable price) Thank you in advance.

Looks like a sewerage cover, if you need to rod a blockage,etc
    Only drawback is if you decide to build an extention

thank you. does that mean I will need to engage a surveyor at this stage already? I know nobody who has a well trained eye. So perhaps need to contact a surveyor on the market?

K.Flyer wrote: »
    It looks like a typical sewer or rain water drain cover to me.
    martinn123 wrote: »
    Looks like a sewerage cover, if you need to rod a blockage,etc
    Only drawback is if you decide to build an extention

No, not looking into extension really. Is there a possibility that the sewer could be stink if something goes wrong? (sorry no idea about these things, hope not sound weird, just want be sure) Many thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Mrshaha wrote: »
    No, not looking into extension really. Is there a possibility that the sewer could be stink if something goes wrong? (sorry no idea about these things, hope not sound weird, just want be sure) Many thanks
    As it is end of terrace,possibly your neighbours effluent is going through a pipe, the cover is to allow access in case of blockage, don't worry, most houses have one, but get someone to open &have a look

• Subscribers Posts: 41,141 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

If you didnt have a cover like this in your back yard id be very worried ;)

Advertisement