Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths entry exam

Options
  • 23-08-2013 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

does anybody have experience of this and how hard/easy it is how close to the leaving cert maths paper is it etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

does anybody have experience of this and how hard/easy it is how close to the leaving cert maths paper is it etc

What course are you hoping to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭shnoo_shnoo

Entertainment systems

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I presume your a mature student like myself??

Im not familiar with the entry requirements for that course but I did complete a maths exam prior to starting a Mechanical Engineering course and it was just basic maths. Just the usual stuff like basic algebra, trigonometry and numeracy skills. I was out of the school system a long time when I sat it and didn't find it that difficult to be honest.

I can't see how entertainment systems would be harder than an exam for engineering as everything we do is maths related and your nothing without a good level of maths as an engineer.

If your worried give the college a ring and talk to someone in the Student life and learning office or even call in. Student life and learning used to organise maths courses just before the start of the semester for mature students to get them a kick start into the year so its worth enquiring about that. Sile Curtain is the person you need to talk to about that ( or at least she used to be ) no harm in giving her a call and finding out, If she's not the person you need she'll put you in touch with the right person. (Sile Curtin Tel: 051 845513 Email: scurtin@wit.ie)

They have a maths centre in the college for students who are struggling so even if you pass the test and your still not sure about your maths its worth calling in. The people there are really friendly and will do everything they can to help you out.

Finally, you'll probably find that when you start the course that the lecturer will spend the first semester going over what you need to know, The lecturers generally don't expect you to know something they haven't taught you.

Good luck.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Entertainment Systems does a lot of the Maths that is in the Applied Computing course, you share a few modules. Not easy if you aren't good at maths.

The entry level will probably be basic enough to see how good you are at Maths, as above really.

I presume your a mature student like myself??

Im not familiar with the entry requirements for that course but I did complete a maths exam prior to starting a Mechanical Engineering course and it was just basic maths. Just the usual stuff like basic algebra, trigonometry and numeracy skills. I was out of the school system a long time when I sat it and didn't find it that difficult to be honest.

I can't see how entertainment systems would be harder than an exam for engineering as everything we do is maths related and your nothing without a good level of maths as an engineer.

If your worried give the college a ring and talk to someone in the Student life and learning office or even call in. Student life and learning used to organise maths courses just before the start of the semester for mature students to get them a kick start into the year so its worth enquiring about that. Sile Curtain is the person you need to talk to about that ( or at least she used to be ) no harm in giving her a call and finding out, If she's not the person you need she'll put you in touch with the right person. (Sile Curtin Tel: 051 845513 Email: scurtin@wit.ie)

They have a maths centre in the college for students who are struggling so even if you pass the test and your still not sure about your maths its worth calling in. The people there are really friendly and will do everything they can to help you out.

Finally, you'll probably find that when you start the course that the lecturer will spend the first semester going over what you need to know, The lecturers generally don't expect you to know something they haven't taught you.

Good luck.

Not coming in as a mature student or a school leaver im half way in between, basically because the course I was on was not for me, I was told it's based off the current leaving certificate, I assume it is the same exam for everyone though, Hopefully it will go alright :/ It's not that I am bad at maths it's that I didn't give myself enough time to cover the entire leaving cert syllabus, only started when I posted this originally, What i've managed to cover im fine on its what I have one day left to cover that worries me :) But sure thanks very much for the info, I appreciate anyone who takes time out of their lives to help somebody :)

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    Entertainment Systems does a lot of the Maths that is in the Applied Computing course, you share a few modules. Not easy if you aren't good at maths.

The entry level will probably be basic enough to see how good you are at Maths, as above really.

Yeah I know what I'm heading into if I get it, my boyfriends on the course at the moment and I've seen him banging his head off the wall when its come to some of the maths they've done, Was never really bad at maths thought so fingers crossed, -Thanks :)

Advertisement