Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curries -€100 euro cashback prices

Options
  • 23-08-2013 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭

Browsing in Curries today looking at a laptop for my daughter. I notice a laptop advertised as €699.
    However in very small print there was this statement.
    €100 cashback. You pay €799 today.

The price is clearly €799 not €699 . There was no further information on the cashback or how it applied ( or if it would apply to all purchasers)

I am just wondering is this pricing information legal and consistent with consumer legislation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

If Currys (not spicy curries :pac:) didn't state the cashback condition or say something like "T&Cs apply" then you'd have reasonable grounds for complaint but the ad did state the price was subject to certain conditions (even if in small print you were still able to read it).

I don't see any breach here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

slimjimmc wrote: »
    If Currys (not spicy curries :pac:) didn't state the cashback condition or say something like "T&Cs apply" then you'd have reasonable grounds for complaint

I don't see any breach here.

That's my point - they did not specify any conditions just stated the price was €699
    only in the very small print at the bottom did they say you had to pay €799
    Is was not clear who the cashback applied to or how to get it. So the price was basically €799

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

rock22 wrote: »
    That's my point - they did not specify any conditions just stated the price was €699
    only in the very small print at the bottom did they say you had to pay €799
    Is was not clear who the cashback applied to or how to get it. So the price was basically €799

They don't have to go into detail, it's only advertisement, an invitation to treat. The ad informed you of the option, so it's entirely up to you to enquire about availing of the cashback deal if you're interested.

The advertisement told you can get can it for €699 with cash back, €799 without; if they abide by their offer there is no false advertising, or deception.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

slimjimmc wrote: »
    They don't have to go into detail, it's only advertisement, an invitation to treat. The ad informed you of the option, so it's entirely up to you to enquire about availing of the cashback deal if you're interested.

The advertisement told you can get can it for €699 with cash back, €799 without; if they abide by their offer there is no false advertising, or deception.

Sorry, my using the word advertise is probably misleading.
    I am talking about the price label on the card attached to the Laptop. In large letters it said the price was €699. The rest of the text is almost unreadable , at least for me, because it is so small,
    The cashback was pointed out to me by the sale rep after I had phoned my daughter with the price.
    My point is it was misleading. You could not purchase the item for €699 - therefore the price label was misleading. My understanding, not withstanding that it is an invitation to trade, is that it is misleading! Most customers would be like me, only discover the discrepancy when about to pay.

I have looked at NCA website and they seem to agree with me.
    "You have the right to clear and accurate indications of the prices of goods " and "Traders are required to ensure that prices displayed are accurate and not misleading"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

rock22 wrote: »
    Sorry, my using the word advertise is probably misleading.
    I am talking about the price label on the card attached to the Laptop. In large letters it said the price was €699. The rest of the text is almost unreadable , at least for me, because it is so small,
    The cashback was pointed out to me by the sale rep after I had phoned my daughter with the price.
    My point is it was misleading. You could not purchase the item for €699 - therefore the price label was misleading. My understanding, not withstanding that it is an invitation to trade, is that it is misleading! Most customers would be like me, only discover the discrepancy when about to pay.

I have looked at NCA website and they seem to agree with me.
    "You have the right to clear and accurate indications of the prices of goods " and "Traders are required to ensure that prices displayed are accurate and not misleading"
    Your not being mislead...the price has the payable instore price on the ticket. Cashback has always been redemptional.
    The only 'misleading' part if any would be the cashback part,I doubt you'll get actual cash back but a pre paid Visa card

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Simple rule of thumb I live by when buying things: If I don't like the practises of the seller I buy elsewhere. Since Declan's departure DSG in Ireland (Curry's/PC World) has shown a remarkably rapid return to form. (AKA vote with your feet.)

Argos, Amazon or Komplett, to name but a few, will all give you a better product for less money generally.

Actually, Lild and Aldi should be flogging ridiculously well speced machines shortly I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

watchdog did an item on Currys Pc World cashback and loads were stung by it in the UK. 80pounds cashback but it was two seperate cashbacks, one from Currys one from Samsung and people didnt realise it. Always watch the small print or vote with your feet and go somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

Avoid Currys - The price between the UK and IRL for the same product is criminal.

Advertisement