Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Vetting and Primary Teaching

Options
  • 23-08-2013 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I'm currently considering a postgraduate in primary school teaching. It's something I've always wanted to do and I think I would be good at it but its only now in my early 40's that I have an opportunity for career change. The other thing is I have a drugs offence from 15 years ago (for which I was fined 100 pounds).
    I'm wondering what people think. Should I start the process and face never getting a job or should I go for it and take a chance, obviously I know I would have to reveal this and there is garda vetting at every stage.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭Lockedout

Did you actually get a conviction or probation of offenders Act? It might not show up. You can vet yourself -see if it comes back. If you only got Probation then if asked say you have no conviction which is true. I would suggest seeing a solicitor or talking to one to clarify matter. But get yourself vetted first. I would also join a teaching union even as a student though clarify if they would represent you in these scenarios. The Teaching council can also advide you anonymously or not. This issue has been knocking around for a few years CEC .

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cappuccino

Thanks for that. I'm pretty sure it was a conviction. I think I will actually contact the dept. of education and ask them is there any point in me even starting a course. Thanks for your help.

cappuccino wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I'm pretty sure it was a conviction. I think I will actually contact the dept. of education and ask them is there any point in me even starting a course. Thanks for your help.

If it was only your first offence then its more likely to be probation. Clarify that first. Vetting is really about child abuse. Contact Teaching council first. Vet yourself as well. Calling Department a total waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

How do you vet yourself I thought it had to be done through an organisation

seavill wrote: »
    How do you vet yourself I thought it had to be done through an organisation

Ring Garda Vetting office In Thurles. They will tell you how. It might have changed but as far as I know under Data Protection you should be allowed access.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

I never rang the GV Unit but I was always told you could not get vetting done yourself. May have been misinformation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Aside from current huha about penalty points....
    (this is ireland after all!)....
    Maybe you would know of any guards who could punch in your name into pulse to see what comes up? Probation or conviction?
    Leaving aside nepotism..you could just go to the local station and ask for advice.. tell them it was a long,long,long,long time ago..

Advertisement