Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning German again ?

Options
  • 23-08-2013 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I want to learn German again and gain some fluency. I have recently graduated college and looking for something that won't break the bank. I am based in Limerick.(might be in Waterford in a few months time)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

is there not something through one of the VEC's (or whatever they are called nowadays) for adult education?
    Normally very cheap relative to language schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

Sure before you go to classes.
    Why not go to your library and get pimsleur cds, and the teach yourself books/cds.
    And also, look at the youtube vids of "extra auf deutsch".
    Memrise.com is a good website, free and good for learning words and phrases.
    Lingq.com is very good too, but you have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Niall_daaS

If I got you right you already know some basics in German? Ever thought about going abroad? There are special programms from the EU to give young adults money to go abroad. Did it myself for the same reason like you (just went the other direction from GER to IRE) and it was absolutly great. Plus it gives you more than just language skills but personal experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭theroomisonfire

Hi

Di you have any more information about these programs or links to websites where I can find out more?

Thanks

Niall_daaS wrote: »
    If I got you right you already know some basics in German? Ever thought about going abroad? There are special programms from the EU to give young adults money to go abroad. Did it myself for the same reason like you (just went the other direction from GER to IRE) and it was absolutly great. Plus it gives you more than just language skills but personal experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Niall_daaS

Hi

Di you have any more information about these programs or links to websites where I can find out more?

Thanks

What I did was this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonardo_da_Vinci_programme

It's kind of the equal to the students programm Erasmus and aims for young adults/professionals. There are several national institutions who run the programm for the EU and walk with you through the application process, give you the money and support you during and after your stay. I did it from Germany so I don't know about those institutions in Ireland, but can't be too hard finding out about them. I had to organise everything on my own (where to go, where to work, where to stay), got an amount of money to cover travelling to and from Ireland and the costs of living for 2 months (the duration is on you, could be shorter, could be longer). The employee documents your work and after the stay you have to send in the documentation plus receipts (e.g. flight tickets and stuff) to proof that you didn't just got the money and went to your local bar, but really did go abroad ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement