Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backpack in Iceland

Options
  • 22-08-2013 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hey guys,

I was just wondering, I want to do a trip to Iceland either this November or next November depending on how money goes. However I am getting more and more tempted by being a bit more adventurous and not booking hotels, instead just bringing camping gear and travelling around on foot or buses when needed for 4-6 days.

Has anyone else thought about or tried this? My only fears would be finding places to set up a tent (which tbh I don't think would be too much of an issue) and the temperature drops (I've heard -20). I figure as well hiking out would give me a better view of the place and more of a chance of seeing the northern lights.

Anyone have any advice or thoughts on the idea?

J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

That sounds amazing mate, really does! I've never been there so can't offer too much advice, but as far as my experiences with travelling and backpacking have been, if you go with some equipment and a half plan in your head, you'll end up fine!

The temperature would be the main issue that I can think of, but if you have the clothing and equipment to get you through those sort of extreme temperatures then you'd be fine!

I love the idea of it, if you think you can manage it then do it! Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jayhassett89

djor88 wrote: »
    That sounds amazing mate, really does! I've never been there so can't offer too much advice, but as far as my experiences with travelling and backpacking have been, if you go with some equipment and a half plan in your head, you'll end up fine!

The temperature would be the main issue that I can think of, but if you have the clothing and equipment to get you through those sort of extreme temperatures then you'd be fine!

I love the idea of it, if you think you can manage it then do it! Good luck!

Yea that's what I figure with the gear and plan, however yea -20 degree weather :S I guess with the right gear it would be ok! Really hope I can do it this year and not have to wait until next! Thanks for the feedback! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

You'd have about 6 hours of daylight to use for travelling around, finding a new camp and setting up. Plenty of time to watch out for the northern lights, and to contemplate your navel. It will be cold and most likely damp. You need to factor these cheery thoughts into your plans ;)

http://www.camping.is/Information/Information_Center/ has some good information.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jayhassett89

Tabnabs wrote: »
    You'd have about 6 hours of daylight to use for travelling around, finding a new camp and setting up. Plenty of time to watch out for the northern lights, and to contemplate your navel. It will be cold and most likely damp. You need to factor these cheery thoughts into your plans ;)

http://www.camping.is/Information/Information_Center/ has some good information.

Fantastic information, I will have a browse through that today! Thank you!

Advertisement