Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the samsung galaxy s2 still worth getting ?

Options
  • 22-08-2013 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

sorry if i posted this in the wrong place only new here
    I'm on a low budget (€150) and was just wondering is it worth it to buy a preowned galaxy s2 or is it too outdated to compete with newer phones around the same price range?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

I wouldn't pay €150 for a used S2. Its over 2 years old and most likely has faults with it and cosmetic damage.

I wouldn't say its too outdated to compare with newer phones that cost €150. At that price you won't get much either way and I'm of the opinion that used phones are selling for a lot more than they are actually worth.

You'd probably be better saving a bit more and buying a new phone, possibly the Acer Liquid E2, Oppo R819 or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Dubwat

I'm no expert but I'll be watching this thread with interest as I'm in the same position as the OP.

I initially thought about getting the lumia 520 but I kept thinking, 'for an extra €50', I could get X. Before I knew it, I was thinking about secondhand Galaxy S3's/HTC Ones/Xperia Z's!!

Eventually, I think I've settled on the S2 as my 'new' phone. It seems to hit the 'sweet spot' for me.

The screen size is about right for me, it has a replaceable battery, takes a SIM card (I've a 3Gs at the mo'), a microSD card slot, a usb/HDMI slot for watching movies on TV. It can take the latest Android 4.3 through an unoffical mod. And because of it's popularity, things like screen protectors and other goodies should be cheap enough.

Of course, in a year's time, it won't take the latest Android but I suspect the two phones listed above won't either?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Dubwat wrote: »
    I'm no expert but I'll be watching this thread with interest as I'm in the same position as the OP.

I initially thought about getting the lumia 520 but I kept thinking, 'for an extra €50', I could get X. Before I knew it, I was thinking about secondhand Galaxy S3's/HTC Ones/Xperia Z's!!

Eventually, I think I've settled on the S2 as my 'new' phone. It seems to hit the 'sweet spot' for me.

The screen size is about right for me, it has a replaceable battery, takes a SIM card (I've a 3Gs at the mo'), a microSD card slot, a usb/HDMI slot for watching movies on TV. It can take the latest Android 4.3 through an unoffical mod. And because of it's popularity, things like screen protectors and other goodies should be cheap enough.

Of course, in a year's time, it won't take the latest Android but I suspect the two phones listed above won't either?
    Haha, I've the very same mind set as you at the mo! After a cheap Android at the mo, but came across the Nokia 520. It seems to be a great little device for a bit more than 100 beans, with some great Nokia Software and a Micro SD card slot. But can't bring myself to "settling" for a WP8 device, with the limited number of Apps available! Like that, I then thought "Ah sure for €100 more I'd get a nice Android device instead". I then thought the GS2 will be going cheap on the likes of Amazon, but it actually isn't!

I thought there would be some decent mid-range Android devices on the market for reasonable prices. Turns out, my idea of "mid-range" is actually a GS2/GS3 spec device, and they are still going for over €300!

Might try to source a second hand GS2 in good knick and swap out the battery for a new one

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

I know you said you don't want to settle for a Windows Phone but if you actually talk to an Android user and ask them which apps they use most then 90% of them will be available on windows, sure you won't have candy crush and the likes but that gets boring after a week. And I'm using a Galaxy S2 for the last year and it's a serious phone, still lightening fast and compatible with the most recent apps. But if I was in your boat is have a serious look at this http://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B00B090QRM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1377251204&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Enrique2SIM

Dman001 wrote: »
    Haha, I've the very same mind set as you at the mo! After a cheap Android at the mo, but came across the Nokia 520. It seems to be a great little device for a bit more than 100 beans, with some great Nokia Software and a Micro SD card slot. But can't bring myself to "settling" for a WP8 device, with the limited number of Apps available! Like that, I then thought "Ah sure for €100 more I'd get a nice Android device instead". I then thought the GS2 will be going cheap on the likes of Amazon, but it actually isn't!

I thought there would be some decent mid-range Android devices on the market for reasonable prices. Turns out, my idea of "mid-range" is actually a GS2/GS3 spec device, and they are still going for over €300!

Might try to source a second hand GS2 in good knick and swap out the battery for a new one

Hi everybody,

Why don't you review the HTC models? That brand have some interesting devices at the price range mentioned above ...

Regards

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

The S2 is a great phone. I dropped mine in the toilet last year and it's still going like a champ. Fast too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

i got my s2 second hand for 150. the thing is a powerhouse and is still spec for spec very close to the iphone 5 and a much better phone than the s3 mini. its a no brainer really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

S2 is still a great phone, throw a nice custom rom like SlimBean on it, and it is still a fast phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

i got my s2 second hand for 150. the thing is a powerhouse and is still spec for spec very close to the iphone 5 and a much better phone than the s3 mini. its a no brainer really.

Can you explain how it's much better than the s3 mini?

I'll be selling a Nexus 4 shortly for little over €200 when Nexus 5 comes out, surely a GNex will become available even cheaper, I might sell my GNex instead actually and keep the N4 as a spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Dave147 wrote: »
    Can you explain how it's much better than the s3 mini?

faster processor, bigger screen, better camera resolution (8mpixel), thinner, cheaper, full hd video, longer battery life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

faster processor, bigger screen, better camera resolution (8mpixel), thinner, cheaper, full hd video, longer battery life.

Don't forget what price the S2 was on launch, I paid about £550 on launch day, gf has an S3 mini which she paid €250 for brand new, so don't think it's *that* much better, and what I've found with android phones is they do slow down a good bit with age.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

Keep looking online lads, I got a second hand xperia t on adverts for 150. Runs perfectly and is a fantastic phone for the price. Just be persistent and ready to pull the trigger if you see one that's a good price.

Drop me a pm guys.

Good phone, nice form factor but not the newest version of android on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭mcw92

Drop me a pm guys.

Why?..........

For anyone That's ready to pull the trigger on an S2.
    Don't want to enrage the moderator so enough said.

Advertisement