Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viber

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Khannie wrote: »
    Linux version of viber for desktop now available. Announcement.

http://download.cdn.viber.com/cdn/desktop/Linux/Viber.zip

Nice app but not sure about their data-scraping policies. Do you know if they are any better than skype in that regard?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

This is the reason I will never use Viber .....
    Why do I need Viber?
    When you use Viber, your phone calls and text messages to all other Viber users are free!

Apparently a Viber user cannot call any other non-Viber SIP users, only Viber users, for free.
    There are lots of alternatives which do not impose such restriction.

Seems to be a SIP version of the Skype closed garden approach!

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Jaysus.. 43megs.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Runs perfectly well under Wine, not that I used it much anyway. I'd love a decent API to it though, that and Whatsapp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Viber

Hi :)
    This is a member of Viber

Please note that this version is beta version, We hope to bring you news about the official version soon.
    Please feel free to let us know your thoughts, questions and comments

Thanks,
    Viber Team

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I would like some kind of proxy support. :) (the ports viber uses are closed on corporate firewalls by default)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Why cant it use HTTP like the rest of the world. At least for non realtime stuff(text messages for example)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I use Viber every now and again. Its handy for IM and voice calls and of course its free. It has its disadvantages but you will find that with any free service.

As JB said you can only use it to call Viber users, but maybe its best left that way

Mr. G wrote: »
    I use Viber every now and again. Its handy for IM and voice calls and of course its free. It has its disadvantages but you will find that with any free service.

As JB said you can only use it to call Viber users, but maybe its best left that way

You might be right ...... but it rankles :D

I had thought we had reached the time when communication across almost all barriers would be easy ..... only to find companies putting up artificial barriers to that easy communication.

I have to admit to finding that very difficult to accept ;)

Viber wrote: »
    All - thanks for your feedback on our Linux beta version. We will take those into accounts and will try to incorporate as many as we can in future versions of Viber for Linux.

If you are in our beta tester group/community that Khannie posted in the first message here, do feel free to write your feedback and suggestions there.

When Viber decide to drop their artificial limitations on what users can do, I will reconsider. I will not join any test group with those limitations on the software.

Until then I will happily use Linphone or other client app for my SIP calls on the desktop.

• Advertisement

Viber wrote: »
    We are sorry that you feel that way, but please bear in mind that Viber is still in a Beta stage. This isn't our final, official product, and of course - as time goes by, we will add new features, and make our application more flexible and customizeable.

I am sure you realise that I was not addressing 'new features' but the removal of the artificial limitations placed on users by Viber.

Other SIP clients allow users to contact SIP users on other services/providers or none.
    Users do not need a 'provider' to call other users using SIP ... it can be done by calling direct using IP address.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Viber never claims to be a SIP product. It's basically equivalent to Skype. It's a proprietary protocol. They can't (and shouldn't) change that just to suit you.

SIP is a pain in the arse IMO.

Khannie wrote: »
    Viber never claims to be a SIP product. It's basically equivalent to Skype. It's a proprietary protocol. They can't (and shouldn't) change that just to suit you.

SIP is a pain in the arse IMO.

Then it is my misunderstanding ...... I understood Viber to use the SIP protocol.

I did not ask for them to make changes ..... I commented on why I would not use the software.

As regards SIP being a pain in your arse ..... I guess you are entitled to your opinion too :D

Advertisement