Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kickboards in gyms

Options
  • 22-08-2013 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Just a quick question, i have started getting swimming lessons again, went for 1st lesson and then went to my friends gym were there is a swimming pool.

I wanted to use a kickboard for helping to practise what i learnt from the lesson etc.. I asked the lifeguard if he had any to which he replied, No.

Then is seen on the website they do swimming lessons, so i emailed the gym to ask, they said that they are only to be used for swimming lessons and that i can purchase one for a tenner.

Is this normal for gyms not to have kickboard for the members etc.. or are they only available from public swimming pools?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Hey guys,

Just a quick question, i have started getting swimming lessons again, went for 1st lesson and then went to my friends gym were there is a swimming pool.

I wanted to use a kickboard for helping to practise what i learnt from the lesson etc.. I asked the lifeguard if he had any to which he replied, No.

Then is seen on the website they do swimming lessons, so i emailed the gym to ask, they said that they are only to be used for swimming lessons and that i can purchase one for a tenner.

Is this normal for gyms not to have kickboard for the members etc.. or are they only available from public swimming pools?

cheers

Well its up to the pool I suppose. They have to make money some way but think if you did buy a kickboard its yours. Some pools ive been in the kickboards were damaged ans basically useless.Try and get an alignment board

Have a look at swimkit.ie or wiggle.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭redarmy1929

mad m wrote: »
    Well its up to the pool I suppose. They have to make money some way but think if you did buy a kickboard its yours. Some pools ive been in the kickboards were damaged ans basically useless.Try and get an alignment board

Have a look at swimkit.ie or wiggle.co.uk

Ah yeah I get that they have to make money but isnt that what the gym membership pays for?

I just didnt really want to pay for something I was going to use for maybe a few weeks.

I ended up buying them as I had no alternative, I just think its abit bad on the customer is already paying for the pool, and has to pay extra for something they already have and should be giving to their customers.

What next, we will have to pay for having a life guard at the side of the pool :S

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

You can always use a kickboard, not just for a few weeks when learning. A lot of competent swimmers would have a set worked into training with a kickboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

You can always use a kickboard, not just for a few weeks when learning. A lot of competent swimmers would have a set worked into training with a kickboard.

Most Olympic level swimmers, if not all, will have sets that utilize kick-boards, pull buoys etc.
    Its about isolation more than support at that level, but the principles are the same. Focus on one aspect of the stroke isolate the muscle groups, concentrate on technique....perfect it.

Advertisement