Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mansplaining

Options
  • 22-08-2013 6:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭

I've seen this term used elsewhere on the site and was just wondering what exactly it means.

Is it meant to make men sound like thickos?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

Taken from Urban Dictionary...

''To explain in a patronizing manner, assuming total ignorance on the part of those listening. The mansplainer is often shocked and hurt when their mansplanation is not taken as absolute fact, criticized or even rejected altogether.

Named for a behavior commonly exhibited by male newbies on internet forums frequented primarily by women. Often leads to a flounce. Either sex can be guilty of mansplaining.''

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

It's basically just a new way for feminists to be outraged.

The sixth definition on Urban Dictionary is more apt:

"Usually, this is based in an over- or misinterpretation based on prejudice about the alleged mainsplainers intentions or on an inability to take constructive feedback. Sometimes it is used as an attempt to unfairly discredit the speaker or his arguments without having to provide counter-arguments. Typically, the mansplainer is simultaneously implied to be sexist or misogynistic.

"Explainee: Women only earn 80 cents for every dollar a man makes. This is a grave injustice.

"Explainer: That is a misleading statement. In fact, after correcting for factors like hours worked, experience, physical danger involved, etc., the differences is just a few percent.

"Explainee (sarcastic): Thank you for mansplaining! I would never have thought of that with my tiny little brain!"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Poor old men.We're always getting it in the neck.A mens equality movement is badly needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

kneemos wrote: »
    Poor old men.We're always getting it in the neck.A mens equality movement is badly needed.

I agree men can surely create a few words to equally annoy the wimmens..

Bitchionary ... To explain in a patronizing manner, assuming total ignorance on the part of those listening. The woman using the bitchionary is often shocked and hurt when their explanation is not taken as absolute fact, criticized or even rejected altogether

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement