Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

£6m number plate

Options
  • 22-08-2013 2:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

This seems like a great opporutunity for exchequer revenue. If the Government were to allow personalised number plates, they could charge lots for the most sought after, while providing random or less sought after ones for a low nominal fee.

They changed the current system to create an artificial market to help the motor industry, further addding weight to the mis-conception amongst many that a car's reg gives the most accurate reflection of it's worth.
    Businessman turns down offer of £6m for his sought-after F1 number plate (which he picked up for just £440,000 five years ago)

Daily Mail

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

£440,000 for a plates that's only purpose is to ID the car. Is it made of gold?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Damn that some money son.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

The most i'd pay for it is 15 Euro :) it's just a number plate. If i had 6 million i'd still only pay €15

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

A fool and his/her money are easily parted and there's still plenty of rich stupid people in this country who would pay (money the gov needs) for this.
    Unfortunately the Dept of Transport (or who ever) dismissed it and said it wouldn't be compatible with number recognition software, which is used in every other country without a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

You can reserve specific numbers for a fee in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭just_be_nice

Senna wrote: »
    A fool and his/her money are easily parted and there's still plenty of rich stupid people in this country who would pay (money the gov needs) for this.
    Unfortunately the Dept of Transport (or who ever) dismissed it and said it wouldn't be compatible with number recognition software, which is used in every other country without a problem.

I think it might have something to do with the motor industry lobby; they got the Government to create an artificial market with the B regs; there is no way they will let the Government get rid of the current numbering system.

So many people would pay large amounts for the most sought after plates; and the Government could charge tax on re-selling.

Added:

It's ridiculous for them to say that number recognition software would not be compatible; if it can read both number and letters, which the current plates have, the patterns or ordering of the characters should be of little concern. Then again, if it's the same people they got to make the e-voting machines then yes, such a simple change is likely impossible! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭just_be_nice

Fully personalised plates would vastly increase the revenue made from this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

zenno wrote: »
    The most i'd pay for it is 15 Euro :) it's just a number plate. If i had 6 million i'd still only pay €15

I'd go €35. I don't even have a car so I could just stick it to my ass!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Days 298 wrote: »
    £440,000 for a plates that's only purpose is to ID the car. Is it made of gold?

A hell of a return in fairness.
    Think I would have taken the six million though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

SIMI.

What's the point in having a car, if you don't have the year emblazened all over it? How would your neighbours know your paddyspec 316d, with windy windows, cassette player and chape tax, is brand fúcking new?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

In the uk the personalised number stays with the owner and the car reverts to its original registration when sold. For years now the uk reg shows the year, same as here.

No reason why we couldn't do it apart from unwillingness on the part of the people who run the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

I'd say lack of imagination on the part of the vehicle licensing people.

Sure they still can't think of an alternative to the current fcuked up situation for imported classic cars, choice of either a Euro style 56 - D - whatever... which looks as wrong as shifting your sister or a ZV reg which is 5 digits already...it'll resemble a bar code number shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Jester252 wrote: »
    Damn that some money son.

Monopoly money .

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

80 ARDS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

in NI we've never had year ID on car plates. if you are going to buy a car, check the log book.

which you'll do anyway to check that the car is actually registered to the seller before you hand over any cash.

so the "Oh moany moany no year ident" argument is worthless

as is the Alphanumeric number recognition software. numbers and letters are numbers and letters.

in the EU, so long as you have your blue edge mark to the plate with the country identifier on it, have whatever plate you like, so long as it's unique to your country.

in the US you can have any combnation of letters and numbers to spell anything but in the UK it has to be a plate that COULD have been issued normally

I worked with a guy whos dad was a Merchant Banker in Jersey.

His initials were KW

his Lambo had KW69. he was driving in England when he saw a car with 69KW.

he flagged the bloke down and whrote him a cheque on the bonnet of his car! followed him home to get the paperwork and had the number on his Range Rover within a week.

why not?

if it floats your boat and raises a few beans for the Govt, maybe they'll pause before putting up petrol duty next time......

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I imported a classic car in 09, and wanted a specific number plate, nothing fancy just the numbers after the year and county bit. There were loads of numbers not used due to the registration being different than. If I wanted a number that wasn't next on the list, it would have cost me €1000. feck that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

They came back recently enough and said it wasn't logistically feasible.

But it's feasible to rape us in taxes more and more..... Makes you wonder really. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

The Aussies have had 'vanity' plates for quite some time...

http://www.ppq.com.au/InfoHub/PlateInformation.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Its a shame that they are tight with what they can put on the plates, no swear words, nothing hateful etc.

There are a few that slip through though. PEN 15 was one that made it through

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,505 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

in NI we've never had year ID on car plates. if you are going to buy a car, check the log book.

I am pretty sure you can tell the year of the car with a NI reg plate, but it's not just a representation of the year in 2 digit form. It's a bit more obscure.

You can also tell the county too, I am pretty sure.

Could be wrong though.

Advertisement