Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PJ Carroll & Co

Options
  • 22-08-2013 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 45,846 ✭✭✭✭

Just to settle an argument does anyone know why Carrol's cigarettes (Number 1 and Major) are only available to buy in Ireland?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

muffler wrote: »
    Just to settle an argument does anyone know why Carrol's cigarettes (Number 1 and Major) are only available to buy in Ireland?

Pretty Sure they were manufactured In Ireland only, In Dundalk.

Pretty sure they are owned by BAT now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I used to buy Major when I lived in London and found them in a few shops in Liverpool too. Not widely available admittedly but they were there none the less.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,846 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I remember from a long number of years ago when I lived for a while in Strabane which is just over the border in N.I. I used get the Major in a local family run shop but the owner was telling me he had to buy them in Donegal as he couldnt get them from the wholesalers in N.I.

Probably about 90% of shops in NI. wouldnt sell them and the other 10% would be shops located close to the border. I wasn't aware that they were sold in in Liverpool and London.

I also know that several if not all duty free shops abroad never stock them.

They are difficult to get outside of Ireland and I thought it had something to do perhaps with some form of exporting license whereas a friend of mine thinks that the company never pushed the marketing on foreign lands

Advertisement