Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trap under bathroom sink

Options
  • 22-08-2013 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

We've had a major stink in our bathroom on and off for the past 3/4 years. Driving us insane trying to find the source. Seems to be coming from under the sink. Hard to see under there but managed to get a picture of the trap with my phone. Can anybody tell me by looking at these pics, whether or not this trap has been installed correctly. When I look at a close up, I can see that measurements on the side of the trap are upside down. Am I correct in thinking this trap should in fact be the other way around?? Any help would be much appreciated. Many thanks ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Rigador wrote: »
    We've had a major stink in our bathroom on and off for the past 3/4 years. Driving us insane trying to find the source. Seems to be coming from under the sink. Hard to see under there but managed to get a picture of the trap with my phone. Can anybody tell me by looking at these pics, whether or not this trap has been installed correctly. When I look at a close up, I can see that measurements on the side of the trap are upside down. Am I correct in thinking this trap should in fact be the other way around?? Any help would be much appreciated. Many thanks ;)

Picture is to close, we can't see the botom of sink to judge how its connected or any of the pipes. Is the trap in the vertical position and have you tightened everything you can

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Rigador

scudo2 wrote: »
    Picture is to close, we can't see the botom of sink to judge how its connected or any of the pipes. Is the trap in the vertical position and have you tightened everything you can

Thanks for the response. It's really hard to get any better, fuller pictures. I had to pop my phone in behind the pedestal to get those ones. Can't take them from any further back unfortunately. Everything is as tight as it can be from what I have felt. I just wondered was the upside down text on the side of the trap a dead give away that it's the wrong way around? I know NOTHING about plumbing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

the trap is fitted correctly.it only fits one way,each waste trap in your bathroom contains water which stops back smells,there can be different reasons why your getting back smells.when a smell can appear to be coming from one place can actually be coming from somewhere else in the bathroom.what other bathroom fittings do you have in the bathroom..

agusta wrote: »
    the trap is fitted correctly.it only fits one way,each waste trap in your bathroom contains water which stops back smells,there can be different reasons why your getting back smells.when a smell can appear to be coming from one place can actually be coming from somewhere else in the bathroom.what other bathroom fittings do you have in the bathroom..

Thanks so much for the reply!

It's our main bathroom, so we also have a toilet and bath in that room. Right enough, the smell would sometimes seem to come from the bath. On this occasion, it's definitely the sink. I put the stopper in and blocked up the overflow hole temporarily, and no smell!! We live in a duplex - bathroom is downstairs, which is the 1st floor of the building. We always have strange noises coming from the hot press when water has been running and on occasion we will hear the pipes shuddering out of nowhere. It's as though the whole plumbing system is not right??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

Thanks so much for the reply!

It's our main bathroom, so we also have a toilet and bath in that room. Right enough, the smell would sometimes seem to come from the bath. On this occasion, it's definitely the sink. I put the stopper in and blocked up the overflow hole temporarily, and no smell!! We live in a duplex - bathroom is downstairs, which is the 1st floor of the building. We always have strange noises coming from the hot press when water has been running and on occasion we will hear the pipes shuddering out of nowhere. It's as though the whole plumbing system is not right??
    ok,a possible problem to your smell is the water is being sucked out of your waste pipe when a toilet is flushed for example.the waste pipe from your sink is fed to a 4" sewer pipe,it can be internal or external,on one end skyward on the 4" sewer pipe is a vent,if this vent is blocked water can be sucked out of your waste trap.if its is an internal waste pipe you will see it in your attic,if its external you will see it outside your building.if this is happening and your paying a maintenance contract they should be sorting this out for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

+1 on the vents
    I would also check the drains outside for partial blockages ( water lying in pipes)

sullzz wrote: »
    +1 on the vents
    I would also check the drains outside for partial blockages ( water lying in pipes)

Thank you so much for the replies. After a couple of days of a horrendously bad smell from the sink, it seemed to migrate into our hotpress (right next to the bathroom). Confused me even further!!! Our kitchen is upstairs (duplex) and drains through the hotpress which is directly underneath it. But no smell in kitchen so don't think that's the source.

Incidentally, the past couple of days there have been lads outside reviewing, or possibly clearing the drainage system in our estate. The smell has disappeared. So maybe it was an external problem which others complained about, and they've fixed it?? For the moment I'm just glad the smell is gone. Woeful!!!!

Advertisement