Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baxi Solo 3 PFL50 gas boiler - keeps cutting out. Any ideas?

Options
  • 21-08-2013 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

I have a Baxi Solo 3 PFL 50 (GC 41-075-22) gas boiler.
    Yesterday I noticed I had no hot water.
    When the boiler timer comes on, the fan and the pilot lights come on and the boiler comes on.
    However after 30 seconds, its cuts off.
    The pliot and fan lights stay on, but the boiler stays off. It comes on again after about 10 minutes, but cuts out again after a few seconds, so never heats the water.

The boiler thermostat control knob is turned fully on (clockwise)
    I bled the rads - all ok.
    Small tank in the attic has water - ok.

Any idea what could be wrong? Thermostat maybe?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

I have a Baxi Solo 3 PFL 50 (GC 41-075-22) gas boiler.
    Yesterday I noticed I had no hot water.
    When the boiler timer comes on, the fan and the pilot lights come on and the boiler comes on.
    However after 30 seconds, its cuts off.
    The pliot and fan lights stay on, but the boiler stays off. It comes on again after about 10 minutes, but cuts out again after a few seconds, so never heats the water.
    The boiler thermostat control knob is turned fully on (clockwise)
    I bled the rads - all ok.
    Small tank in the attic has water - ok.

Any idea what could be wrong? Thermostat maybe?:confused:
    Also - what is the red tap/valve over the boiler for? (see picture)

Red tap.valve is a safety pressure release valve. Do not touch.

If pipes on top of boiler are red hot then you have a problem with the pump. Legaly you need an RGII plumber. As you have already checked the tank + rads.yourself.

A seperate matter, get plumber to check that red safety valve is fitted with a drain pipe, if not, if it leaked onto the boiler it can destroy boiler.

Also Get rid of the totally crap carbon monoxide warning strip on boiler and buy a proper one, €30-00 to save a life is cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

Ok - thanks scudo2. Was only asking about the red valve out of curiosity.
    What you said makes sense, as it is plumbed out via a small copper pipe to a drain outside.
    Also, the carbon monoxide strip was made redundant years ago - I have a proper Fire Angel C02 detector in that room.

As for the boiler problem, I have a green Wilo pump and blue motorised valve under the boiler. (see photos attached).
    The green Wilo pump runs when the system is on, I can hear the water running through it. Actually it sounds like there are little air bubbles running through it sometimes.
    The Motorized valve is turned off for the summer, so that the boiler only heats the copper cylinder upstairs, and not the rads.
    The red return valve in the hot press is open, so the water can run through the coil in the cylinder.
    Is there anything else to check?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Ok - thanks scudo2. Was only asking about the red valve out of curiosity.
    What you said makes sense, as it is plumbed out via a small copper pipe to a drain outside.
    Also, the carbon monoxide strip was made redundant years ago - I have a proper Fire Angel C02 detector in that room.

As for the boiler problem, I have a green Wilo pump and blue motorised valve under the boiler. (see photos attached).
    The green Wilo pump runs when the system is on, I can hear the water running through it. Actually it sounds like there are little air bubbles running through it sometimes.
    The Motorized valve is turned off for the summer, so that the boiler only heats the copper cylinder upstairs, and not the rads.
    The red return valve in the hot press is open, so the water can run through the coil in the cylinder.
    Is there anything else to check?

Try turning on everything to clear air heating and water.
    Pump has a round silver plug in the centre that you can also loosen when its running to bleed out any air.

Thanks for info on safety valve and carbon monoxide alarm,

Advertisement