Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting to get interested in photography

Options
  • 21-08-2013 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭

So my wife is starting to get an interest in photography , I don't know if its a phase or what but who am I to argue , she recently bought a fuji finepix s4200 , but now wants something "better" .
    She is in two minds wether to buy a Sony hx300 or to go for an dslr and get lenses eventually , I myself think she should go for the Sony and see if she takes to it before paying out big bucks for a sale and lenses which might not get the use they deserve .
    Another thing I want to ask is , if anyone could recommend good evening photography classes , in the dublin / Kildare area , we live in Leixlip so the nearer for her the better , her birthday is approaching soon as is Xmas so it could be a good present idea , thanks in advance .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Get a dslr but just get one of the cheaper models. The sony is similar enough to the fuji so if she went for that chances are she would want to change to a slr thinking it would make her a better photographer. Don't bother with classes. Just take photos and learn what you can from tutorials on websites and videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Thanks for the reply , is there any dslr you recommend her to get for starting off , without the need to upgrade straight away , thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

This one is pretty cheap, 1100D. Or if she wants to spend a little more, 600D. And you can get her this for christmas, 50mm 1.8.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Effects wrote: »
    This one is pretty cheap, 1100D. Or if she wants to spend a little more, 600D. And you can get her this for christmas, 50mm 1.8.

That's great , thanks for your help , ill look into them cameras for her

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

sullzz wrote: »
    I myself think she should go for the Sony and see if she takes to it before paying out big bucks for a sale and lenses which might not get the use they deserve
    For a present, sure, buy it new, but if it's a whim, consider a 2nd hand one?
    sullzz wrote: »
    Another thing I want to ask is , if anyone could recommend good evening photography classes , in the dublin / Kildare area , we live in Leixlip so the nearer for her the better , her birthday is approaching soon as is Xmas so it could be a good present idea , thanks in advance .
    I'm a member of the Celbridge camera club. Directions to it here. We'll be meeting up again on Mondays in September (at the moment we meet up on Mondays and goto random places to take photos; see the site for such photos). Very broad age range, and welcoming to new members.

They do novice photographing classes every couple of months in a nearby community centre, which I found it to be very good when I did it when I first got into photography.

• Advertisement
Advertisement