Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaking Main Stopcock

Options
  • 21-08-2013 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

This is in the front garden, enclosed within a clay sleeve. It has a slow leak and it no longer shuts off the water. Is this a big job to replace? How urgent is it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

I would suggest that should contact the water services depatment your local council or corporation as this normaly comes under their jurisdiction,as for urgency are we talking mililitres or gallons of leakage? but as with everything the sooner its fixed the better,its not a massive job to fix but it can be a bit messy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

dpofloinn wrote: »
    I would suggest that should contact the water services depatment your local council or corporation as this normaly comes under their jurisdiction,as for urgency are we talking mililitres or gallons of leakage? but as with everything the sooner its fixed the better,its not a massive job to fix but it can be a bit messy

Nope stopcock is yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Nope stopcock is yours.

Limbo I think, half of the stopcock is the councils. Full bill is the householders, councils are very fair that way !!

But as its in your garden( and not out on the public foothpath) I would dig it up and see if you or your plumber can fix it yourselves.
    To get the council you'll end up paying for 3 guys to operate the shovel and one foreman to operate the 3 guys !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Iv always been told by the council that its yours and yours to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭mickoregan

Thanks, folks. It's my responsibility, not the councils.
    I've had a plumber around and he reckons the time will be mostly taken up with digging it out.
    Shoulda done this myself, I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Just so people know, any pipe work, fittings & stop cocks inside the boundary of the property is the sole responsibility of the homeowner & anything outside the boundary is the responsibility of the Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

Ignore! I asked a question already answered.

Advertisement