Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Hurling

Options
  • 21-08-2013 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

So, just got back from a memorable holiday in Ireland. Fell in love with both Gaelic Football and Hurling and brought back a football, hurley, and a sliotar. I'm excited to play a bit back in the states, but there really isn't a lot of information regarding the sport back here. I have a couple of questions...

1) Does anybody know of any place to play either sport in Mid-Michigan?

2) I have gripped my hurley and put two coats of linseed oil on it, but what else should I do with it? I've seen some PVC tape on most hurleys, and a metal band across the bas on others. Any need for these?

3) Being new and an American, I have no one to train with, anything I can do on my own to get better with the hurley?

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,248 ✭✭✭✭endacl

http://www.clubgaa.ie/usa/

There's a list of clubs there. Any of them close to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 d_san06

Looks like Detroit would be the closest, but that's an hour and a half away from me, but thanks for looking!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Hurl, sliothar and wall. Now go practice battin that ball against the wall...............to make it authentic ensure there is a single pane glass window near by

You're not the first to pass through and pick up an interest. Check these guys out....

d_san06 wrote: »
    Looks like Detroit would be the closest, but that's an hour and a half away from me, but thanks for looking!
    You could pick up a house in Detroit these days for $40-50. Use it as your weekend gaelic base?

Sucks for Detroit, but every cloud has a silver lining?

:pac:

• Advertisement

This is a great video! Inspiring.

d_san06 wrote: »
    This is a great video! Inspiring.
    I thought so. I wouldn't be supporter of the military adventures of recent years, but I thought great to see a bunch of young soldiers pulling something positive and lasting from the experience. Keeping the unit together, as a unit.

Thanks for the advice guys, anything else to put on my hurley?

Advertisement