Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever been harassed

Options
  • 21-08-2013 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

as an adult...how did it make you feel? is it normal to big a strong man but feel completely helpless?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

Harassed in what sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭chuckyarelaw

Harassed in what sense?

Good sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

With your username I certainly won't be harassing you!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Late Student

bad sense...mature student with a non native accent getting wild accusations thrown at him, bias against him by certain staff...proved himself clear time and time again but more waves come, the vendetta is deep...only thing keeping him going is family. Total destruction of everything caused and still trapped in the place till he finishes

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

This is AH. Harassing people is a sport round here.

Hazing is where it is at though I hear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

MadsL wrote: »
    This is AH. Harassing people is a sport round here.

Hazing is where it is at though I hear.

I was thinking this!!

Sexual harassment now is a whole different ball game :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

bad sense...mature student with a non native accent getting wild accusations thrown at him, bias against him by certain staff...proved himself clear time and time again but more waves come, the vendetta is deep...only thing keeping him going is family. Total destruction of everything caused and still trapped in the place till he finishes

...wild accusations like.....?

That the person had made a threat and there was a dozen witnesses...action taken against the person for it and all appeals ignored...until a threat of legal action made them finally investigate it to find the witnesses on the list given by the accuser did not exist. Then the same attempted again and the same, all lies ..and on and on...now mature family man pretty much has breakdown because of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I'd normally just take the píss, but here's a serious answer.

Yes, I've been harassed. Yes, it's normal to feel completely helpless when it's happening. Feels like it'll never end, there's nothing you can do to stop it and that fighting it will just make it worse.

But, what are you supposed to do? Sit around feeling worse and worse until you end up being diagnosed with depression or in therapy?

If staff where you are studying are genuinely showing a distinct bias against you, go above their heads. Speak to whoever you have to, and provide as much proof as possible.

Start keeping a diary, noting dates and times of any things said, any actions against you, any false accusations, etc. Bring this with you when you make a complaint.

Without knowing any more, I can only assume you're genuinely being harassed. It could be a case of you being overly sensitive, but I'm going to assume you're being genuinely harassed.

That the person had made a threat and there was a dozen witnesses...action taken against the person for it and all appeals ignored...until a threat of legal action made them finally investigate it to find the witnesses on the list given by the accuser did not exist. Then the same attempted again and the same, all lies ..and on and on...now mature family man pretty much has breakdown because of it

Given your username, and the fact that you're talking about a mature student, it's pretty obvious this is all about you.

Given your above post, I'd suggest seeking legal advice, rather than posting on boards, if accusations of an illegal behaviour (making threats) are being made against you.

• Advertisement

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    I'd normally just take the píss, but here's a serious answer.

Yes, I've been harassed. Yes, it's normal to feel completely helpless when it's happening. Feels like it'll never end, there's nothing you can do to stop it and that fighting it will just make it worse.

But, what are you supposed to do? Sit around feeling worse and worse until you end up being diagnosed with depression or in therapy?

If staff where you are studying are genuinely showing a distinct bias against you, go above their heads. Speak to whoever you have to, and provide as much proof as possible.

Start keeping a diary, noting dates and times of any things said, any actions against you, any false accusations, etc. Bring this with you when you make a complaint.

Without knowing any more, I can only assume you're genuinely being harassed. It could be a case of you being overly sensitive, but I'm going to assume you're being genuinely harassed.

I have done all of the above and have it all documented, as for the health issues, bit late for that now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

So a man is being falsely accused by the same person on repeated occasions.....is there anyway he can avoid this individual? (Esoteric post contains good advice btw)

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    Given your username, and the fact that you're talking about a mature student, it's pretty obvious this is all about you.

Given your above post, I'd suggest seeking legal advice, rather than posting on boards, if accusations of an illegal behaviour (making threats) are being made against you.

true..the name does come across as such..not a subject for my "having the craic login me"

I have done all of the above and have it all documented, as for the health issues, bit late for that now

If you've done all of that, use google to find the relevant board of management for your place of study and go there, preferably with a solicitor making contact on your behalf.

If your mental health is suffering, seek medical treatment. It won't get better without help. Medical notes from a psychiatrist/GP/counsellor can also back up your claims, if the medical practitioner feels that the treatment you are receiving is the cause of your mental illness (if indeed, you are diagnosed with one).

Seriously, seek legal advice, and don't give anything more away on a public forum.

Thanks...never been so depressed in my life...I doubt if I will recover from this if i am honest. I will take your advise but I hold little hope in Ireland that anything can or ever does get done...even in the weight of overwhelming evidence. I'm actually in quite a drank place right now which isn't good.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Hi Late Student,

It really is a positive step that you want to talk about issues that are affecting you. No-one has to be the strong man and talking about stuff is a sign of strength and a progressive move forward. We can't and are not best placed to advise you.

Please consult professional legal advice and if needed, other organisations that may help, which can be contacted anonymously.

Good luck.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement