Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical shop sold this MANKY cooker

Options
  • 21-08-2013 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

My landlady bought this Creda Cavalier cooker (circa late 1970's/early 1980's) from <MOD SNIP>. What company sells something in this state and what does it say about my landlady? Absolutely furious. It smoked so badly setting off the fire alarm because it was full of grease and on the 3rd day something blew in it. My landlady was away on holidays so I had to go to the shop and get them to come out. The infuriating thing is NOTHING can be done about it because it is 'adequate'. There are no laws protecting people against companies selling these things or landlords buying cheap goods. I am a RAS tenant and am stuck in a contract. I have a 5 yr old girl who got the fright of her life because there was a loud bang and a spark came out the back of it when something blew.
    SHAME ON THE SHOP AND
    SHAME ON MY LANDLADY FOR INSTALLING THE DIRTY MANKY THING:mad:
    6c1i.jpgm7nh.jpgmp6q.jpg55bs.jpg

Mod edit: Please do not mention company names. We have no way of ascertaining the veracity of your statement. Many thanks, 2011

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Gate Automation

Just buy a new cooker and take off from rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 breathnachj

Can't take it off the rent. Checked with the county council and with threshold and won't be reimbursed if I get a professional cleaning company or getting an electrician to check it to make sure it is safe. If I don't pay the rent I am breaching my contract. Because my landlady has supplied a cooker with 4 rings and an oven it is deemed 'adequate' even though it is in a horrendous state.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Thanks gctest50 :) Yes it looks like I will have to buy a new cooker. Am just annoyed that an electrical company can sell a product in that state and also that my landlady bought something like that. Some companies have great deals for new cookers starting from €200 with a guarantee so why buy something like that??? I have been in a house fire before that was caused by an electrical appliance and the whole thing has really bugged me. Is it a case of cutting corners or should have gone to specsavers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

the older hob units would be troublesome in regard to short-circuits alright

shouldn't be a shock or fire hazard if earthing and Zl is ok

apart from the fright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

I'm on RAS also i have a three bedroom house, one room full of beds and other crap contacted the Landlord no reply asked the CC to help remove, no luck hired skip {Small} Chucked it all in and refuse to cover my portion of the rent for that week so far all going well this was 4 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

I'm on RAS also i have a three bedroom house, one room full of beds and other crap contacted the Landlord no reply asked the CC to help remove, no luck hired skip {Small} Chucked it all in and refuse to cover my portion of the rent for that week so far all going well this was 4 months ago.

If you're landlord wanted to kick up a fuss you'd be coughing up the rent or you could be out on your ear.

The rent is paid as per the agreement you signed you can't just decide to not pay a portion of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Just buy a new cooker and take off from rent.

Cant be done by the tennant,when she has signed up to a legaly binding contract.

If rent is widthheld/not paid,then tennant "can" be evicted/removed from house.

The landlord still gets paid monthly rent.....even if property is unocupied..as per the DCC RAS scheme.

DCC RAS monthly rent values and amounts are typically 200-250 euro lower than what the landlord would get by going with a private estate agents and renting that way...or renting it out direcetly themselves.

But any self respecting landlord should at least install propper/decent quality appliences in the property prior to renting the property out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

the shop did nothing wrong as its obvious it was a used item your landlord bought.

Its the landlord and the landlord only that you can have a gripe with.

anyway a decent deep clean with a proper oven cleaner will usually get it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

OP have you shown these photos to the council staff in the RAS office? While used goods are perfectly acceptable they must be clean and fit for use which I would say is not the case with this cooker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

paddy147 wrote: »
    Cant be done by the tennant,when she has signed up to a legaly binding contract.

If rent is widthheld/not paid,then tennant "can" be evicted/removed from house.

The landlord still gets paid monthly rent.....even if property is unocupied..as per the DCC RAS scheme.

DCC RAS monthly rent values and amounts are typically 200-250 euro lower than what the landlord would get by going with a private estate agents and renting that way...or renting it out direcetly themselves.

But any self respecting landlord should at least install propper/decent quality appliences in the property prior to renting the property out.

Section 12 of the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 allows the tenant to make repairs in certain circumstances, this would require reimbursement. A Landlord would be hard pressed to make a good case as to why the tenant should not simply withhold the amount from the next rental payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Bepolite wrote: »
    Section 12 of the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 allows the tenant to make repairs in certain circumstances, this would require reimbursement. A Landlord would be hard pressed to make a good case as to why the tenant should not simply withhold the amount from the next rental payment.

Have you tackled your landlady over this and made her aware of her responsibilities ?

Also under section 12 . . .
    (g) without prejudice to any other liability attaching in this case, reimburse the tenant in respect of all reasonable and vouched for expenses that may be incurred by the tenant in carrying out repairs to the structure or interior of the dwelling for which the landlord is responsible under paragraph (b) where the following conditions are satisfied—

(i) the landlord has refused or failed to carry out the repairs at the time the tenant requests him or her to do so, and

(ii) the postponement of the repairs to some subsequent date would have been unreasonable having regard to either—

(I) a significant risk the matters calling for repair posed to the health or safety of the tenant or other lawful occupants of the dwelling, or

(II) a significant reduction that those matters caused in the quality of the tenant's or other such occupants' living environment,

Ken

Foggy lad - Because I was getting no response from my landlady I went straight into the county council and showed them the photos. I also lodged a formal complaint. The electrician from the company came out to fix it the first week it was installed and cleaned the oven but the photos shown were taken after. I had to go into the shop to ask them to come out because my landlady told me she was on holidays and there was nothing she could do about it until she was back.

Sandin - I disagree that the shop did nothing wrong. They have a responsibility to sell something in 'proper working order' and with the cooker smoking my house out I can definitely say that it was not. Also what about the grease being a fire hazard.

Zener - I did tackle my landlady who was away on holidays in Kerry when it happened and she said there was nothing she could do about it. She told me that it probably just needed to be cleaned but didn't offer to hire a professional cleaning company. I repeatedly had to ring her and one of our last conversations ended with a sarcastic 'do you expect me to come from Kerry just to clean your oven?'. I told her she was neglecting her duties as a landlord but she doesn't care. The council have told me that this doesn't constitute a health and safety matter.

AllthingsCP - When I moved into my house I had to get my landlady to remove all the pee stained beds and very old furniture. I don't know why landlords think that tenants would want furniture that should go in a skip. Am all for recycling but some things cannot be saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Foggy lad - Because I was getting no response from my landlady I went straight into the county council and showed them the photos. I also lodged a formal complaint. The electrician from the company came out to fix it the first week it was installed and cleaned the oven but the photos shown were taken after. I had to go into the shop to ask them to come out because my landlady told me she was on holidays and there was nothing she could do about it until she was back.

Sandin - I disagree that the shop did nothing wrong. They have a responsibility to sell something in 'proper working order' and with the cooker smoking my house out I can definitely say that it was not. Also what about the grease being a fire hazard.

Zener - I did tackle my landlady who was away on holidays in Kerry when it happened and she said there was nothing she could do about it. She told me that it probably just needed to be cleaned but didn't offer to hire a professional cleaning company. I repeatedly had to ring her and one of our last conversations ended with a sarcastic 'do you expect me to come from Kerry just to clean your oven?'. I told her she was neglecting her duties as a landlord but she doesn't care. The council have told me that this doesn't constitute a health and safety matter.

AllthingsCP - When I moved into my house I had to get my landlady to remove all the pee stained beds and very old furniture. I don't know why landlords think that tenants would want furniture that should go in a skip. Am all for recycling but some things cannot be saved.

The shop's responsibility is to provide a product that conforms to the contract of sale agreed with the buyer (the landlady). If she was aware and willing to buy it in that condition, knowing it was not 'in decent working order' then that's her choice, that's not the responsibility of the shop. If she bought it expecting a decent product and without being aware of it's state then you may have a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

slimjimmc wrote: »
    ... If she bought it expecting a decent product and without being aware of it's state then you may have a point.
    But it's more of a debating point really: OP has no contract with the shop. If the landlady has no interest in pursuing the matter, the point becomes moot.

Advertisement