Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OCZ 240GB SSD €132 [Delivered] [iBOOD]

Options
  • 21-08-2013 6:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭

240GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD on iBOOD for around €132 delivered.
    I have used iBOOD before in the past and have found them quite good, the delivery can be quite slow though.
    Great bargain I think!
    Note: It's on Amazon.com for $295+
    Linkidy link link

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Drives are "recertified as new".
    Given my experiences of how ssds fail, I'd stay well clear.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ryaner wrote: »
    Drives are "recertified as new".

I'd emphasise this a thousand times over.
    Don't touch these drives with a barge pole- you will be sorry, if you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Ryaner wrote: »

especially ocz drives!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I wouldn't touch off a brand new OCZ ssd , never mind one of these

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Echo the above,had 2 OCZ's fail on me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Myself and my housemate bought 1 each, mine died after 2 months, his died after two weeks. Wouldn't use OCZ SSD's again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the overwhelming majority of OCZ SSD issues turned out (eventually) to be an issue with the sandforce controller (which would be to a large extent outside of OCZ's control) when used with other specific hardware which caused a huge number of returns before the fault was eventually fixed, however this was resolved some time ago so there is a good chance this is stock that was only used for a very short time by people who had them fail prematurely due to this issue, but which have since been fixed with a re-flashing of the newer firmware.

having said that, i had some high end OCZ RAM that I had to RMA 3 times and get replaced before they agreed to a refund.

I also have a Corsair SSD which had the same controller as the dodgy OCZ drives that was nothing but a pain in the arse and kept getting corrupted and crashing out the OS so I had to zero it, re-format and re-install windows every couple of weeks, but i did get very good at it! :pac:

eventually the problems was resolved with a firmware upgrade and it's been grand since, so if that's the case, you could end up with a very cheap drive that was hardly used due to a firmware issue that has been fixed.

although, having said all that, i saw it and won't be going anywhere near it with a barge pole! :D

it's all over and done now though anyway, so no more cheap SSD roulette. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Stay away from OCZ drives, absolute heartbreakers.

Source: Heartbroken 25 old male.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I have an OCZ 128gb one in my rig for 18 months without any issues, granted I also have a crucial M4 sitting along side it. Would I buy this? Probably not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Definitely worth waiting for the sandisk ultra to come back into stock on amazon for the extra tenner or put a watch on camelcamelcamel on the m4 - they've been down around the same price lately. Much rather deal with amazon in the unlikely event of a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭pedatron

would anyone be able to recommend a good value reliable SSD around 240GB?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

pedatron wrote: »
    would anyone be able to recommend a good value reliable SSD around 240GB?

Crucial M4

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

or the samsung 840's, also very good.

i've a 250gb sammy 840 at home in my ESX server and it's grand.

mind you, i've also got a 250gb Micron C400 in my work laptop, a pair of 60gb OCZ Agility 3's in my home desktop and Corsair 60gb SSD in a netbook so i'm a bit of an SSD fiend at this stage! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

there is samsung 840 for around €150 deliverd

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I've had some problems with my Samsung 840. After doing windows updates I get sudden shutdowns for a few days before it settles down.

I'd seriously look at hybrid drives though that seem to come close to the real world performance

I've had some problems with my Samsung 840. After doing windows updates I get sudden shutdowns for a few days before it settles down.

I'd seriously look at hybrid drives though that seem to come close to the real world performance

Far more lightly to be an os/driver/file corruption issue ave you tried sfc. Theres a new firmware from may for the 840 drives might help.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Awh sorry to everyone that it wasn't a bargain...shows how much I know about SSD's! Anyway as with anything on iBOOD it was only for a deal. Offer is gone now. Sorry again.

Awh sorry to everyone that it wasn't a bargain...shows how much I know about SSD's! Anyway as with anything on iBOOD it was only for a deal. Offer is gone now. Sorry again.

No need to apologise, sure none of us naysayers would post a link to anything better if someone didn't post something worse :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

paddyp wrote: »
    No need to apologise, sure none of us naysayers would post a link to anything better if someone didn't post something worse :P

Big time- I'm looking at that Samsung now- and I wasn't aware of it before the post here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Big time- I'm looking at that Samsung now- and I wasn't aware of it before the post here.
    I got a 120gb one recently, solid drive by all reports. If i think of it later i can post up some benchmarks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

but that's the great thing about BAs you might know a bargain but someone else may know a better one so everyone wins

• Registered Users Posts: 3 trish.goyal

vibe666 wrote: »
    the overwhelming majority of OCZ SSD issues turned out (eventually) to be an issue with the sandforce controller (which would be to a large extent outside of OCZ's control) when used with other specific hardware which caused a huge number of returns before the fault was eventually fixed, however this was resolved some time ago so there is a good chance this is stock that was only used for a very short time by people who had them fail prematurely due to this issue, but which have since been fixed with a re-flashing of the newer firmware.

having said that, i had some high end OCZ RAM that I had to RMA 3 times and get replaced before they agreed to a refund.

I also have a Corsair SSD which had the same controller as the dodgy OCZ drives that was nothing but a pain in the arse and kept getting corrupted and crashing out the OS so I had to zero it, re-format and re-install windows every couple of weeks, but i did get very good at it! :pac:

eventually the problems was resolved with a firmware upgrade and it's been grand since, so if that's the case, you could end up with a very cheap drive that was hardly used due to a firmware issue that has been fixed.

although, having said all that, i saw it and won't be going anywhere near it with a barge pole! :D

it's all over and done now though anyway, so no more cheap SSD roulette. ;)

yes, few a times it will be minor firmware issues which can cause the hardware to be at fault. I have been using the sandforce based controllers for a while now especially Intel 5** series which are simply mind blowing. I constantly keep updating the firmwares which surely helps!

Advertisement