Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRISH DIASPORA

Options
  • 21-08-2013 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Ireland is known to be a country of emmigration.

In the following countries: U.S., UK, CANADA, AUSTRALIA the investigations have shown that at least 10% of their population is of Irish origin.

This gives a total global diaspora of nearly 100 million people.

Is it just a figment of the imagination supported by the statistics quoted higher or a reality that Irish feel from day to day life ?

How this emmigration impacted your life ?

PS I'm currently preparing a book on the Irish Americans.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Erinfan wrote: »

In the following countries: U.S., UK, CANADA, AUSTRALIA the investigations have shown that at least 10% of their population is of Irish origin.

Is it just a figment of the imagination supported by the statistics quoted higher or a reality that Irish feel from day to day life ?

How this immegration impacted your life ?

PS I'm currently preparing a book on the Irish Ameriacains.

Irish people give a **** about the diaspora unless you are talking about americans. Then all bets are off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

I'd learn to spell Americans before you print the cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Well it helps the economy. Tourism is vital. And we should be encouraging (i know we are) all those 100 million to come back and spend some money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I don't care where you want to say you come from as long as your pockets are full.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

**Vai** wrote: »
    I'd learn to spell Americans before you print the cover.

I didn't wanna be a dick and say it! :)

Also Immigration :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

One thing I have learnt is that you are not allowed an opinion once you emigrate. My location is thrown in my face almost daily on AH.

Also referring to America and Americans in insulting terms is a pastime on AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

I didn't wanna be a dick and say it! :)

Also Immigration :)

So you decided to be a double dildo instead? :p

Anyway OP I don't think the Irish were ever liked abroad as much as we ourselves like to think we are. We tend to give ourselves far too much credit without recognising the work of many other immigrants to these countries like the UK, US, Australia and more recently Canada, China and Japan.

We still tend to stick to our own too when we do go abroad and so while the di... (Jesus what an awful word!), while the Irish abroad think that these countries love us, they really don't, we only love ourselves too much to think other countries must love us too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

Czarcasm wrote: »
    We still tend to stick to our own too when we do go abroad

Nah, I can't say that I do. Most Irish where I am are wretched hangers-on or unreconstructed gob****es that I steer clear of. Most of my friends are English, who I can say are easy to get on with and very welcoming. Some Spanish, American and Chinese friends, too.

Caonima wrote: »
    Nah, I can't say that I do. Most Irish where I am are wretched hangers-on or unreconstructed gob****es that I steer clear of. Most of my friends are English, who I can say are easy to get on with and very welcoming. Some Spanish, American and Chinese friends, too.

Didnt you hear MadsL? You're not allowed an opinion :-)

**Vai** wrote: »
    Didnt you hear MadsL? You're not allowed an opinion :-)

Well, that's just like YOUR opinion, man :D:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

There's no such thing as a diaspora, those TANS and BRITS with their ENGLISH ACCENTS who were born OVER THERE will NEVER be OOOOIIIRRRRISSSSSSHHH!!! loike WE ORRRR!!!

dd972 wrote: »
    There's no such thing as a diaspora, those TANS and BRITS with their ENGLISH ACCENTS who were born OVER THERE will NEVER be OOOOIIIRRRRISSSSSSHHH!!! loike WE ORRRR!!!

What have I told you about forgetting to take your medication :)

There's one thing you have in common with many Irish abroad- some of them can't distance themselves fast enough from whence they came.

I have lots of friends who are foreigners, and I'm a foreigner to them, it doesn't mean I have to behave like a "Kiss me quick, I'm Irish" stereotype, but it doesn't mean I have to try and distance myself completely from anything Irish either.

As individuals we would share each others cultures and each of us learns something from the other, then share that knowledge we have gained with those from our own culture.

MadsL wrote: »
    What have I told you about forgetting to take your medication :)

I'm sure you got the joke, was taking the piss out of the 'born and bred here so 'oim special' brigade.

There's one thing you have in common with many Irish abroad- some of them can't distance themselves fast enough from whence they came.

I have lots of friends who are foreigners, and I'm a foreigner to them, it doesn't mean I have to behave like a "Kiss me quick, I'm Irish" stereotype, but it doesn't mean I have to try and distance myself completely from anything Irish either.

As individuals we would share each others cultures and each of us learns something from the other, then share that knowledge we have gained with those from our own culture.

Appreciated, but I've had some bad experiences with the Irish over here and also in Korea before this. I'm unlucky enough to live upstairs from an Irish lad who tried to plug himself into my life, and wanted to dump his wife, who had recently had a baby, on my girlfriend so she could take care of her. He was also a lairy prick when he was drunk in the pub.

Another chancer from the Irish consulate here who was a consummate liar.

Another hanger-on who would only talk to me because he thought I could get him a leg-up into a job where I worked.

Another who tried to constantly bum money off me for his coke habit.

And they all give it the "shur wir both Irish" spiel. So don't get me wrong, I'd love some Irish mates here so can see eye-to-eye with me on stuff, but there's just none I'd grade that way. It's a pity, really, but seeing as there's not that many Irish here in the first place, it was never going to be easy.

Appreciated, but I've had some bad experiences with the Irish over here and also in Korea before this. I'm unlucky enough to live upstairs from an Irish lad who tried to plug himself into my life, and wanted to dump his wife, who had recently had a baby, on my girlfriend so she could take care of her. He was also a lairy prick when he was drunk in the pub.

Another chancer from the Irish consulate here who was a consummate liar.

Another hanger-on who would only talk to me because he thought I could get him a leg-up into a job where I worked.

Another who tried to constantly bum money off me for his coke habit.

And they all give it the "shur wir both Irish" spiel. So don't get me wrong, I'd love some Irish mates here so can see eye-to-eye with me on stuff, but there's just none I'd grade that way. It's a pity, really, but seeing as there's not that many Irish here in the first place, it was never going to be easy.

Caonima those guys sound like pricks who just happen to be Irish, I'm sure you know plenty of foreign pricks too.

Caonima those guys sound like pricks who just happen to be Irish, I'm sure you know plenty of foreign pricks too.

Some foreigners are pricks, but it's rare, but it occurred to me that the Irish guys used our shared nationality as a licence to take the piss. The catch-all expression of "we're all Irish" grated on me. And the fact that four people did that stuff meant that I did for a while really try to find an Irish mate or two. I even lost an American friend in Korea after some Waterford geebag glassed him in a bar when he was drunk, and then my American mate stopped talking to me because the Irish guy kept saying he was my friend, which he wasn't.

I even lost an American friend in Korea after some Waterford geebag glassed him in a bar when he was drunk, and then my American mate stopped talking to me because the Irish guy kept saying he was my friend, which he wasn't.

Americans are so gullible. While we're throwing generalisations around like.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

So you decided to be a double dildo instead? :p

Anyway OP I don't think the Irish were ever liked abroad as much as we ourselves like to think we are.

There's still a lot of anti-Irish bigotry in parts of the UK, America etc. Like they think Irish people subhuman or lesser people in some way.

• Advertisement

There's still a lot of anti-Irish bigotry in parts of the UK, America etc. Like they think Irish people subhuman or lesser people in some way.

What is "a lot"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

MadsL wrote: »
    What is "a lot"?

Well its hard to quantify it I suppose. But I suspect, as much as Irish people are liked by a lot British people, they're still remembered for the IRA etc. And so a lot of people will pass judgements about you, particularly the older generation. Even on British forms, there's still plenty of degrading comments and threads about Irish people. But then I suppose you get that about any nationality really.

Well its hard to quantify it I suppose. But I suspect, as much as Irish people are liked by a lot British people, they're still remembered for the IRA etc. And so a lot of people will pass judgements about you, particularly the older generation. Even on British forms, there's still plenty of degrading comments and threads about Irish people. But then I suppose you get that about any nationality really.

The type of Sun / Daily Mail reading Brits who do this type of thing are scarcely renowned for their erudition, they usually hate English Northerners and the Scots and the Welsh and they themselves are regarded as chimpanzees by Middle Class Brits of both Left and Right wing persuasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭markomuscle

It hasn't effected my life apart from the bus load of yanks that sometimes visit my parish church on a sunday morning.

Though it has made my family history a bit more interesting, 10+ people moved to the USA, Canada or Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Erinfan wrote: »

How this emmigration impacted your life ?

PS I'm currently preparing a book on the Irish Americans.

Be great if they got. Vote wash this corrupt regime out of it,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Curious; I wonder do other nationalities go on about their diaspora's like we do? There's always something in the media about the Orish diaspora.

For example; America is full of Germans, Chinese, Brits, Spaniards, Greeks, Scandinavians, Russians, Africans & Poles. So do all these other nationalities moan the loss of their fellow countrymen who have left their shores and gone elsewhere over the centuries? or do they just accept that all countries have people who have traveled and settled down (forced/by choice) elsewhere in the world, since the beginning of time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭ONeill2013

It always seems to be the northerners who receive the remarks about the IRA even though there was many southern members. at the time the republic played england in the soccer a few months ago i remember loads of english young men saying 'the IRA had nothing to do with the republic of ireland, it was the northern ireland catholics'

Advertisement