Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bus route from portlaoise to WIT

Options
  • 21-08-2013 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi

I have my son starting in WIT in September. I have been trying to find a bus route to get him from Portlaoise to Waterford Institute of technology and back .
    2 questions.
    Is there a private bus company that does this . I have check with JJ Kavanagh and they don't
    How far a walk is it from Waterford Bus Station to WIT

Thanks for your help
    Rory

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

rorytr wrote: »
    Hi

I have my son starting in WIT in September. I have been trying to find a bus route to get him from Portlaoise to Waterford Institute of technology and back .
    2 questions.
    Is there a private bus company that does this . I have check with JJ Kavanagh and they don't
    How far a walk is it from Waterford Bus Station to WIT

Thanks for your help
    Rory

No idea about buses but I went to WIT myself back in the day and it would be at least a good 40min walk to the college from the bus station.

Would the Dublin/Waterford train be any good for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Moved from NUI Maynooth forum

• Registered Users Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

No idea about buses but I went to WIT myself back in the day and it would be at least a good 40min walk to the college from the bus station.

Would the Dublin/Waterford train be any good for you?

They train station is 5 minutes further from the college than the bus station.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 rorytr

Hi Callaway . Thanks for advise but train does not go by portlaoise . Would have to go to Kildare. Checked all local buses and it seems the only way is to drop him and collect him in Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

I used to work in Athlone a few years ago and used to get this bus. I think they announced it was ceasing however a year or two ago. If you go to the Bus Eireann site it's not listed in the routes anymore:

http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=246

To be honest it was a ****ty bus anyway, largely along back roads (felt like you were on a Rollercoaster going through Kilkenny!). In addition there were only 2 buses a day and it used to take around 4 - 4.5 hours in general.

The other option was to go via Dublin, which depending on which bus/train you got could be as quick as 5 hours, and it didn't feel like you were driving on the surface of the moon!

Advertisement