Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What do y'all think?

Options
  • 20-08-2013 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

Still getting to grips with things but I think it's pretty decent

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

'Might', not 'mite'. Still wouldn't make sense though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Way too many different fonts going on for my liking.

Remove the underscore from the banner.

Will have a proper look tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭bobbaggio

endacl...thanks for that. just saved my life there....yeah

thanks ronanc15, probably a little too much going on in the middle alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Needs colour, a lot more colour. Also there's no information on it.

• Advertisement

But I don't want colour on it...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I don't particularly like the style but maybe that's just a personal thing. To me I find it very bland, nothing to hold my interest at all

You're using tables for positioning rather than css and the tables you have included are all over the place.

In 33 lines of html there are 16 html errors including the aforementioned tables that appear to have no rows, just one solitary closing row tag. You're re-using the same id in multiple places. Your missing closing tags on hyperlinks. Where's your head and doctype?

Here is what a screen-reader will read 'some_text, some_text, html, html, html, html, html, twitter, html, some_text'

If you're pitching yourself as an illustrator, it's not a particularly great showcase.
    If you're pitching yourself as a web designer, it's even worse.

I am not really selling myself as anything at the moment. I am an aspiring web designer and in order to showcase anything, I have to put it online.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

bobbaggio wrote: »
    I am not really selling myself as anything at the moment. I am an aspiring web designer and in order to showcase anything, I have to put it online.

I would start by spending the day looking at other web designers portfolio sites to get an idea of what's out there and what standards you have to aspire to.

bobbaggio wrote: »
    But I don't want colour on it...

It's not about what you want, it's about what your customers want. You're supposed to be selling a service.

It doesn't particularly showcase any abilities or skills that your site visitors would be looking for.

Your Photoshop and Illustrator icons are meaningless and have no connection (that I can see) to the software.
    You've got meaningless imagery (1985) that has no context, and the excessive use of fonts is giving the page the ransom note effect, and the page has zero information. Plus the lack of colour is makes the page look cold, sterile and unwelcoming.

If I was looking for a designer I wouldn't be contating you.

• Advertisement

... and the self-congratulatory note on the bottom is quite off-putting.

Overall you seem to be attributing creative skills to yourself, but not demonstrating them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

You are learning and have a long, long way yet to travel. Currently, the actuality falls far short of the aspiration. Take the time and do some courses on html/css, typography, Illustrator and PhotoShop as you appear to be just starting to learn these. w3schools and lynda.com, amongst others, are good.

cormee has covered much of the rest, especially the design for your users' needs, not your wants, and as graham says, look at other design sites for inspiration and figuring out how things are done.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Also, although my response was a little tongue in cheek, do check your spelling. By putting a site online, what you are doing is publishing. So, you're not just a designer. You have to be a proof reader and editor too.

Thanks for all the feedback, some of its a little harsh as I'm only starting and have never actually had a job as a graphic designer and or website designer. I haven't even had a freelance job. I'm not applying for a job or after charging you 5,000 to design this so take it easy on the criticism....

I just put this up to show my friends and hopefully learn as I go along...also had trouble with different screens and just all a learning process

I find it difficult as to where to start, I've learned bits and pieces of HTML and CSS, but do I need JavaScript too because I don't know anything about it?

Any advice is appreciated (like the replies but just make it a little more user friendly)....

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Probably best not to put up a thread in a "Website Reviews" forum if you don't want honest feedback (That means taking the bad also)

The reality of graphic design is that people will immediately judge you by your website. If you want to blow your friends away I would take it down and relaunch it when you have built something with a serious wow factor!

Just my 2c! Good luck in your future learnings!

RonanC15,

What was so hard in saying that? I appreciate fully that I have to take the good with the bad like everything but could they not fashion their responses in a human way without sounding like ****? No? If not then that's fine, but as someone starting out, it would definitely not encourage you to share your work with anyone ever again.

Having read back over, RonanC15, I appreciate your sentiments and to be fair there are some very helpful comments which I will definitely use to improve. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Locking at OP request.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement