Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposal To Hide Thanks(s?)

Options
  • 20-08-2013 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

I would like to propose hiding the 'thanks' on all comps such as photo challenges and random photo thread, etc until deadlines have passed for the following reasons:
    • More fun waiting to see who wins
    • No bandwagoning ("meh, I don't see the big deal but it got a lot of thanks and I don't want to look like I don't 'get it'...")
    • No de-bandwagoning ("I think it's a good shot but no-one else does so I'll look silly if I thank it")

While we still have the illusion of democracy in the world I'd suggest a poll on the issue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Cork Boy wrote: »
    I would like to propose hiding the 'thanks' on all comps such as photo challenges and random photo thread, etc until deadlines have passed for the following reasons:
    • No bandwagoning ("meh, I don't see the big deal but it got a lot of thanks and I don't want to look like I don't 'get it'...")
    • No de-bandwagoning ("I think it's a good shot but no-one else does so I'll look silly if I thank it")

While we still have the illusion of democracy in the world I'd suggest a poll on the issue.

Have you not heard - vote early and often..... FTW :)

Yeah, a reasonable proposal but the way it *used* to be would have been a tecnical impossibility to implement as you are suggesting (unless you've got vbulletin coding skills that you want to develop it for boards.ie). Many moons ago, the challenges/competitions were hosted offsite (i think it was with DarrenG) and it worked just like you said but there's a lotta work in that too I'd expect. There weren't nearly as many competitions either.

/sits on the fence

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

Reddit can do it with upvotes

*Ducks for cover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

A simple solution would be to create a Greasemonkey script that hides them, however I'm not sure would It solve the issue as you'd have to suggest users install it, which some won't.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Set a date for the thanking to begin. Get a mod to ban anyone who thanks beforehand ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Cork Boy wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

I don't think reasons two and three exist outside of your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

amdgilmore wrote: »
    I don't think reasons two and three exist outside of your mind.

no no, they're very real. I game the thanks system, like a devious thanks puppetmaster. Adding a thanks here ... subtracting a thanks there ... it's how I consistently end up with POTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fran426ft

no no, they're very real. I game the thanks system, like a devious thanks puppetmaster. Adding a thanks here ... subtracting a thanks there ... it's how I consistently end up with POTW.

This does happen and while I wouldn't take away thanks after giving it I'm guilty of watching the number and not thanking in my favour.

On this subject I may as well clear my conscience.:o

I got POTW this week with 59 votes but akaspike only got an honourable mention at 58 votes. While akaspike thanked my photo I didn't thank his. At first I didn't thank his as I wasn't drawn to his photo. It started getting lots of votes so I remember thinking to myself maybe I'm missing something and should thank it (bandwagoning).....but then time went on and I realised I was close to getting POTW but he was hot on my heals so I didn't thank it. End result = win for me :D when it possibly could have been a draw :o

fran426ft wrote: »
    This does happen and while I wouldn't take away thanks after giving it I'm guilty of watching the number and not thanking in my favour.

I got POTW this week with 59 votes but akaspike only got an honourable mention at 58 votes. While akaspike thanked my photo I didn't thank his. At first I didn't thank his as I wasn't drawn to his photo. It started getting lots of votes so I remember thinking to myself maybe I'm missing something and should thank it (bandwagoning).....but then time went on and I realised I was close to getting POTW but he was hot on my heals so I didn't thank it. End result = win for me :D when it possibly could have been a draw :o

tis the rank seamy underbelly of the random photo thread laid bare for all to see :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I'd be in favour of it purely for the suspense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭TTWNF

but how can you be bothered going back to check them? .... i find i look at the thread every second day or so and there is always new amazin stuff to see, never need to go back and look at stuff a second time. Then photo of the week is posted and i go yes i remember that one.. still as amazing second time round! Like what you like & move on :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fran426ft

TTWNF wrote: »
    but how can you be bothered going back to check them? .... i find i look at the thread every second day or so and there is always new amazin stuff to see, never need to go back and look at stuff a second time. Then photo of the week is posted and i go yes i remember that one.. still as amazing second time round! Like what you like & move on :-)

I'm new enough to the forum and it's still a novelty for me when people like my photos. For some reason after I post a photo up I have to keep going back for a few days to see what sort of response it gets.

Am I the only one who does this? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,634 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I have to keep going back for a few days to see what sort of response it gets.
    ThanksWhore! :D

I kinda like the idea of having no thanks allowed till the last day or two of the competition. While it would involve a lot of effort on some-ones part I'd like to see the photos posted anonymously too.

It would work kinda like this...
    Comp theme announced. Deadline two weeks.
    All images Emailed/posted to a willing facilitator glutton for punishment.
    All images reposted to the forum by the glutton for judging a few days before thanking can start.

Winner gets a slap on the virtual back, all the image owners get named and a new theme is announced and it all starts again.

So, there would be four dates to consider:
    1) Deadline for entries to be sent to the glutton.
    2) Posting of images to the forum.
    3) Thanking commences
    4) Voting ends.

Too complicated to work?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭dakar

That's pretty much exactly the way it used to work, except the images were hosted by DarrenG on an external web gallery and the voting was done by a poll on the forum rather than thanks (I'm pretty sure this was in the pre-thanks days)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

i shy away from anything that stinks of effort. mainly due to my lack of time these days :P

i genuinely only thank pictures that i like. even if i think you are an ar$e. if you take a nice photo (to my eyes) then i will thank it. not into this facebook-type-like-because its easy-thanking-bs

there are so many pictures i see that don't make POTW because they are not mainstream. or maybe it's because all the cliques are going around thanking each other's posts only? :confused:

i dunno. actual (thankless) photo competitions would be good. but don't let that sound like i'm volunteering to do it :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,128 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we could make it really interesting and ask for an 'unthanks' button. if we can mark a pic we like, why not mark a pic we don't?

there are so many pictures i see that don't make POTW because they are not mainstream. or maybe it's because all the cliques are going around thanking each other's posts only? :confused:

wait ... there's more than one ??!? Damnit ! If people could identify these cliques so I can ingratiate myself with them that would be great. Thnks ! PMs welcome obviously :D
    we could make it really interesting and ask for an 'unthanks' button. if we can mark a pic we like, why not mark a pic we don't?

Actually I think this is a great idea. It's easy to 'thank' a picture. It's a lot harder to express your DISlike of someone's picture. There should be JUST unthanks on pictures in the random photo threads. Picture with the least number of unthanks gets the POTW :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭bullpost

A "vive la indifférence" kind of approach :)

Actually I think this is a great idea. It's easy to 'thank' a picture. It's a lot harder to express your DISlike of someone's picture. There should be JUST unthanks on pictures in the random photo threads. Picture with the least number of unthanks gets the POTW :-D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,128 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we could go even further. how about a like/meh/dislike button, which *must* be pressed before the next picture posted will load?

or a set of preset buttons, which can be clicked in combination? e.g. 'too much HDR' / 'horizon is not straight' / 'brutally obvious dodging and burning' / 'not another ****ing swan' / etc.

• Advertisement

or a set of preset buttons, which can be clicked in combination? e.g. 'too much HDR' / 'horizon is not straight' / 'brutally obvious dodging and burning' / 'not another ****ing swan' / etc.

ohh yeah, you're definitely onto something there. Then, for the icing on the cake, make it anonymous :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,634 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

No HDR swans? :(

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

dakar wrote: »
    That's pretty much exactly the way it used to work, except the images were hosted by DarrenG on an external web gallery and the voting was done by a poll on the forum rather than thanks (I'm pretty sure this was in the pre-thanks days)

Correct IIRC.

But there was a problem when there was a large number of entries because a thread could only have a poll with x number of entries (I think it may have been a limit of 10 or 11 is in my head for some reason). Hence, you then had two voting threads, and IIRC it was horrid complicated when that occurred (in so far as it mattering to people - and in fairness, to some it really does, to others its kinda nice to be associated with, and to others it won't matter a toss).

Perhaps vbulletin has moved on a little. Or do the voting elsewhere if we were to head back to such a scenario.

OldGoat wrote: »
    No HDR swans? :(

pffffttttttt newb... You should know by now, only if you include the rock in the foreground......

;)

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    pffffttttttt newb... You should know by now, only if you include the rock in the foreground......

;)

or a winsome ethnic child.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

So it's agreed then! HDR Swans FTW!

I definitely preferred the way the competitions used to be run. These days the earlier you get your photo in seems to have a huge bearing on the result. I think voting/thanking should be at least left until the entry is finished and given a week to review and select your favorite photo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

The competitions are a bit of fun. We are all overthinking this!

fran, fair play to you for your honesty. I shall remember it ;)

I suggest we just remind everybody that there is an honour system - thumbs up if you like a photo, pass on if you dont. Simple. Otherwise mods will be up to their elbows in complexity. Boards is run on vbulletin software, which is good in many ways, but is clunky to mod. And it can be quite labour intensive to track who posted what photo, post them anonymously, track votes , etc etc. No mod in their sane senses would sign up for that.

Finally, the perfect cliche would be carton house, superimposed on poolbeg, with a swan, in HDR. Maybe in a collage, with a dog, and an oulfella drinking a pint?

-FoxT

FoxT wrote: »
    Finally, the perfect cliche would be carton house, superimposed on poolbeg, with a swan, in HDR. Maybe in a collage, with a dog, and an oulfella drinking a pint?

You MISSED the foreground rock. THE FOREGROUND ROCK :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

I forgot the Sam Beckett bridge, and the national conference centre.. (Is that what its called?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

this is starting to sound like a good photo challenge! we should run a thread who can get the best photo combining all those items.. lol be good for a laugh :P

anyway, yea. way OT. i'm not in favour of hiding thanks.

Advertisement