Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java development on Android tablet (Best Android IDE? or alternatives?)

Options
  • 20-08-2013 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭

Hey, I started learning Java a little while ago but my studies were interupted when my laptop picked a fight with the floor.
    I've picked up an Android tablet (Asus Transformer tf300t... if that makes any difference whatsoever) to tide me over while I'm waiting to get a new laptop. Was wondering what the best options for doing Java directly on a tablet are? I'm still at early stages, doing little Blackjack games and things to try and get to grips with the basics.

I was recommended Sand IDE and it's pretty good but I'm wondering if there's anything better out there?
    An Eclipse equivelant for Android kinda thing?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

strobe wrote: »
    Hey, I started learning Java a little while ago but my studies were interupted when my laptop picked a fight with the floor.
    I've picked up an Android tablet (Asus Transformer tf300t... if that makes any difference whatsoever) to tide me over while I'm waiting to get a new laptop. Was wondering what the best options for doing Java directly on a tablet are? I'm still at early stages, doing little Blackjack games and things to try and get to grips with the basics.

I was recommended Sand IDE and it's pretty good but I'm wondering if there's anything better out there?

Thanks for the help.

That's going to be such a ****ing horrific experience, just wait to get the laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

strobe wrote: »
    I'd use AIDE upon occasion, which looking at Sand IDE would be quite simelar, but also supports source control, which makes it handy if you want to work off the same codebase or compile with the same keystore with more than one machine.

Reality is that, as ChRoMe suggests, such Android IDE's are not really ideal where it comes to any development; they're fine for things like hotfixes, but any serious development and you're better off waiting for your laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

mita75 wrote: »
    thanks for sharing chrome...

There is a good reason for my reaction. If you are new to Java, having your first experience developing on a tablet is going to be so bad, it will will decrease motivation and leave a bad taste in the persons mouth. Its such a horrible introduction it might completely put them off writing code which is the exact opposite of what they are trying to achieve.

Advertisement