Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

standard practice for fixing a thread and riser to an open string step?

Options
  • 20-08-2013 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

Ive 2 steps without a handrail and the left side is open string. Whats the best way to fix these to the string? Not interested in dowels or pinning and filling.

Im thinking either a batton underneath screwed up into the thread an across into the string. (same for the riser)

Or

Drilling 10mm pockets and screwing straight through the face and plugging them.

Which is industry standard or best practice. Obviously if I had bannisters I could hide the fixing that way but is there any tricks for this in joinery. Carpenter by trade but dont do much joinery at all TBH.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Boiled-egg

Megatron!! wrote: »
    Ive 2 steps without a handrail and the left side is open string. Whats the best way to fix these to the string? Not interested in dowels or pinning and filling.

Im thinking either a batton underneath screwed up into the thread an across into the string. (same for the riser)

Or

Drilling 10mm pockets and screwing straight through the face and plugging them.

Which is industry standard or best practice. Obviously if I had bannisters I could hide the fixing that way but is there any tricks for this in joinery. Carpenter by trade but dont do much joinery at all TBH.

Cheers

Do you mean the left side is a cut string ?. If you post a Pic it may help.

Advertisement