Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stiff Tap

Options
  • 20-08-2013 5:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

Hello

In our other bathroom which is not used too often, one of the taps is very stiff.

It is a mixer tap, the hot tap is easy to twist, however the cold tap is unreal stiff and one needs the aid of a towel to twist it

Any way to loosen the cold tap up or take the stiffness out of it ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Hello

In our other bathroom which is not used too often, one of the taps is very stiff.

It is a mixer tap, the hot tap is easy to twist, however the cold tap is unreal stiff and one needs the aid of a towel to twist it

Follow my instructions on "Replace tap" post on 17/8/13

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Hello

Just replace the spindle

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

sullzz wrote: »
    Just replace the spindle

What is a spindle ?

What is a spindle ?

It's the brass fitting that the tap head is attached to , when you turn the tap head it is turning the spindle , yours is stiff so needs replacing you can't loosen spindles , I'm sure you can find a thread on boards guiding you through how to replace one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Hello

There's a special grease to use. I've got some but no idea what it's called. You'd also have to be capable of stripping the tap down, greasing it and re assemble

• Advertisement

Dtp79 wrote: »
    There's a special grease to use. I've got some but no idea what it's called. You'd also have to be capable of stripping the tap down, greasing it and re assemble

If your going to all the bother of turning the water off and removing the spindle I'd just replace it for a new one.

scudo2 wrote: »
    Follow my instructions on "Replace tap" post on 17/8/13

Would you have a link ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Would you have a link ?

Just go back in the posts here on P&H its only 3 days ago.

Would you have a link ?

Did you try typing " replace tap " into the search bar on the boards site , I just did and it was the first result

If your going to all the bother of turning the water off and removing the spindle I'd just replace it for a new one.

Ye but the cogs on a new spindle don't always fit the cogs on the existing tap head

• Advertisement

Ye but the cogs on a new spindle don't always fit the cogs on the existing tap head

That's true , that's why you replace both spindles (h&c) at the same time with the new heads that come in the pack

Did you try typing " replace tap " into the search bar on the boards site , I just did and it was the first result

I did but wasn't sure if I was looking at correct one, I was.

I think I need to go on to YouTube as I'm not familiar with some of the words mentioned.

That's true , that's why you replace both spindles (h&c) at the same time with the new heads that come in the pack

But shur only bog standard heads come in those packs. Not the fancy ones that match the fancy bath taps!!

But shur only bog standard heads come in those packs. Not the fancy ones that match the fancy bath taps!!

Well they either get the bog standard heads or a new set of taps , spindles have a certain lifespan , when they seize the get replaced , the only repair I would do would be a washer replacement , I couldn't stand over a greasing of a spindle , I doesn't matter if you explain it to the customer before you do it , your still the one going back to replace the spindle or tap when it leaks or seizes again a few weeks down the line

Advertisement