Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas Boiler & Hot Water Cylinder Location

Options
  • 20-08-2013 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi all,
    we renovating a house and making switch from oil to gas. Quick question has popped up re the location of gas bolier and water cylinder.

Architect recommends we put these together in the garage. Plumber recommends we put these together in a hot press on the first floor. The main reason being that if down stairs in garage if it will take longer for hot water to get to shower & bathroom upstairs. I haven't talked to the plumber yet, will do so on Thursday but just wanted to get initial thoughts on this.

Just some concerns on my side that if we put these upstairs
    1) Is it dangerous to have a gas boiler in a hot press that will also be storing linens.
    2) Is it also dangerous in terms of potential fumes?
    3) Cost. Does pipe to Boiler have to be run all the way by Bord Gais up to second floor?
    4) Noise. Hot press will be right beside bedroom so have a concern re noise as well.

Cheers
    Shane
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

shaneh wrote: »
    Just some concerns on my side that if we put these upstairs
    1) Is it dangerous to have a gas boiler in a hot press that will also be storing linens.
    2) Is it also dangerous in terms of potential fumes?
    3) Cost. Does pipe to Boiler have to be run all the way by Bord Gais up to second floor?
    4) Noise. Hot press will be right beside bedroom so have a concern re noise as well.

Cheers
    Shane

1. No but you will continuously burn out the boiler PCB from overheating. I would put the boiler in the garage (balanced flue, of course) & the HW cylinder in the hot press unless you are pressurising the HW circuit.
    2. No.
    3. No, but by your RGI.
    4. Not really. HE boilers are generally fairly quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭shaneh

Thanks Shane. I'm meeting builder tomorrow so will let you know how discussion goes.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

If you do decide on together in the hot press, gas regulations state they must be separated into two compartments, as combustable material are not to be stored in with the gas boiler (i.e.. clothes)

Fair point Shane makes with the PCB, but I have plenty on my year schedule that are done this way, and haven't had any PCB issues.

The garage is best for the boiler, easier to maintain there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

If I where doing it I would put the lot in the garage especially if it was next to the house, including the cold water storage tank. I would then pressurize everything so you would have great pressure all over the house.

If the garage was next to the house you could then easily split the heating into upstairs and down stairs and put weather compensation onto it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Bear in mind with putting it in the garage, if you ever extend the living space into the garage, it'll be something which will have to move...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

Or have a designated plant room in the garage within a foot print and leave the rest for conversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

The Boiler will always be safer in the Garage. Why not put a Combi Gas Boiler in the Garage. Positioned backed onto the Kitchen and close to the Bathroom no long runs to worry about. Then no need for a Cylinder in the Hot Press. Just put a small Rad in the Hot Press, You then have the best of all situations with more storage space in the hot press.

sky6 wrote: »
    The Boiler will always be safer in the Garage. Why not put a Combi Gas Boiler in the Garage. Positioned backed onto the Kitchen and close to the Bathroom no long runs to worry about. Then no need for a Cylinder in the Hot Press. Just put a small Rad in the Hot Press, You then have the best of all situations with more storage space in the hot press.

A lot more considerations than that for a combi, I'm afraid. Combi's are very useful animals but they have their limitations & are not suitable for many installations.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭shaneh

Hi all,
    got to meet up with the builder on Friday to discuss with him. The background for not putting the boiler in the garage is actually due to an issue with the garage itself, rather than the pros/cons of a bolier location. The roof on the garage is asbetos so obviously nobody wants to cut into it for the bolier chimney flue. There's no external wall area on the garage either that we can use. We have a bit of a small alcove in the downstairs hallway so we're gonna put the boiler in there and run the flue straight out to the front wall kinda above and to the side of the front door. Not the ideal place to put it but it's the best that can be done. Hot water cylinder and water pump for shower, we'll leave in hotpress.

Not going with a combi boiler as we'll be running kitchen, bathroom and 2 future bathrooms off the water system.

Thanks
    Shane

Flue above front door will look terrible. Surely, there would be a better place! Perhaps in the kitchen & cover with a cupboard.

• Advertisement
Advertisement