Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help required - Clicking noise.

Options
  • 20-08-2013 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all, I've recently bought a Wilier La Triestina road bike and although I'm very happy with it, a loud clicking sound has developed. It is only there when I'm actually pedalling and is more pronounced when I'm applying more pressure. I'm suspecting that it's something to do with the bottom bracket, but I'm not sure.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Also interested in other's experience with Wilier bikes.

Cheers. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DJMidnight

Plenty to look over there. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

You thought you had one problem. It could be one of a dozen things. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭instinct

Saddle and seat post would be my first place to check.

At one stage I removed crank and regressed the BB but still had knocking. It was as simple as removing seat post and cleaning out the seat tube and refitting post and everything was quiet again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Ah yes, the mysterious bottom bracket noise. We had a discussion on this a few weeks back. I think I was trying to make up a word to describe the noise, or find the german word for it (they have a word for *everything*, right?). Braketklangen, or Riddletingler, or something.

My own mystery bike noises were caused by quick release wheels not quite sitting right in the dropouts. Reseating them fixed this.
    Also, I had some headset looseness, but that was a little more obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭wotdef

I've got one of those as well. I find turning the volume up works wonders. It's cheaper than a shrink anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭hesker

diomed wrote: »

That's a great link.

In my case it was a loose replaceable derailleur hanger. Glad to see it's on that list.

You have to be methodical. Check the easy things first. Leave bottom bracket stripping till later.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 PHILI007

I had a similar problem recently with my new Pinarello Rokh. It turned out to be coming from my pedals, Look Carbon Keo's. I know this may sound weird but the cure was to thoroughly clean both cleats and pedals, especially the bearing surfaces, them apply talcum powder to both. When I first read about this remedy I thought it was someone having a laugh. I was desperate, so I tried it and haven't looked back. One other thing to check out. Make sure the excess cable on the front derailleur is not hitting off the crank.

Advertisement