Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sizing for new tyres

Options
  • 20-08-2013 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi,

I've been getting a lot of punctures lately commuting to work on my road bike. I'm thinking of getting Schwalbe Marathon Plus Road Tyres.

My current tyres are 23C, but the thinest the Schwalbe come in seems to be 25C. Would they fit? I pretty clueless when it comes to wheel sizes etc.

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Almost all road bikes will take 25mm tyres (by almost all, I mean there are probably only a couple of exceptions that have ridiculously right clearances).

Marathon Plus are horrible tyres though. Stiff sidewalls make them slow and uncomfortable - they're designed to repel thorns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

I agree with Lumen. I wouldn't put Marathons on a road bike, even for commuting.

Conti GP4000s in 25c are probably the best tyre you can get and can be found on German websites for €65 a pair delivered. I just got 11,000km out of a pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

Cycle Superstore in Tallaght have Conti GP4000S in 25c; €70 for two.

Advertisement