Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF senator calls for recall of Seanad and goes on holidays

Options
  • 20-08-2013 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭

You couldn't make this up.

Marc MacSharry as Fianna Fail health spokesman called for an urgent recall of the Seanad to debate health legislation concerning organ donation.

However he won't be attending himself. He is on his way to Portugal on his holidays.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

He was one of 20 Senators on a petition which his party had started. You make it sound like he was sole/main reason this happened rather than it being a FF leadership call.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

He was the "leader" of the recall and then when it happens goes on holidays. Total political stunt

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

godtabh wrote: »
    He was the "leader" of the recall and then when it happens goes on holidays. Total political stunt

Well, yes, of course it's a stunt, the current iteration of the Seanad can't actually do anything to the legislation so eh...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

nesf wrote: »
    He was one of 20 Senators on a petition which his party had started. You make it sound like he was sole/main reason this happened rather than it being a FF leadership call.

He is not just one of 20 . He is the FF Seanad spokesperson on health.

He is not the main reason why this happened. Mark Daly proposed the recall.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

If he signed the petition for a recall, he should have been there for the debate and vote.

Is there only one flight a month to Portugal?

As it now seems that FF were short one vote McSharry will not be too popular in his party.

While FF may have been playing politics, it is noteworthy that a well known independent John Crown supported their motion.

Personally I believe all EU diirectives should be debated and examined by An t-Oireachtas befpre being transposed into domestic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

nuac wrote: »

Personally I believe all EU diirectives should be debated and examined by An t-Oireachtas befpre being transposed into domestic

I agree . The government should have held a debate.

However if FF are involved there is bound to be some insincere political shennagins afoot.
    They had a whole year to debate this in private members time and didn't say a word.

FF demanding that the minister for health attend while their shadow health spokesman jets off on his holidays.

Well done FF . Bon voyage Macsharry. Send us some snaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Senate & senators & their opinions on all sorts of things really seems to be in the news alot this year [or is it just me?]; I wonder if the abolition referendum were to be cancelled (or if FG lose it) will they all just pipe down and disappear off the radar again!:pac:

Advertisement