Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Department issues tender notice for social welfare medical assessments

Options
  • 20-08-2013 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭

I thought this might be of interest to some here:
    Department issues tender notice for social welfare medical assessments

August 15

The Department of Social Protection (DSP) is considering “contracting providers of medical services” to supplement its current staff of 19 medical assessors.

continues at:

http://www.medicalindependent.ie/32706/department_issues_tender_notice_for_social_welfare_medical_assessments

This mean a company like Atos Healthcare will be involved. I hear a lot of complaints from people in the UK about this company.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

I have been misreading thread titles all evening. I was expecting gentle invitations ("tender notices"!) to have one's claim assessed.

Anyhow, I have experience of ATOS examinations. Some people get on ok, others don't. The main criticism of the criteria used by ATOS and similar companies is their irrelevance when applied to working environments. Some MPs have lobbied parliament to address this with more relevant criteria suggested by carers association (I think, but may be wrong). Nothing has come of it. ATOS are being somewhat unfairly demonised in this respect, they don't set the criteria - the DWP does.
    That said, there are anecdotal reports of people getting their ATOS reports to find the documentation is markedly different from the answers they recall giving during the assessment. In fact, these assessments are so despised there is a wealth of tips and checklists devised by those previously assessed with a "forewarned is forearmed" theme.
    My mam got on ok with her assessment, still waiting for my sister's assessment to take place (if it does).

Given the controversy surrounding the assessments, I doubt they would be welcomed in Ireland, particularly if they're contracted in the same way as the UK - companies given bonuses for every claimant they move off ESA, incapacity and DLA benefits, with incremental bonuses given on
    a) the severity of an individual's illness, and
    b) the length of time they can place them in work (upto a period of two years, I think)

with NO financial penalties on said company for individuals incorrectly designated as fit for work (ie those who win on appeal).

Although I reckon the welfare begrudgers may be happy to see this introduced.

Advertisement