Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended courses in Dublin?

Options
  • 20-08-2013 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

Rather than passively learning pits and pieces pretty haphazardly, I'm looking into taking a few classes to put a bit of effort into this.

Can anyone recommend any good evening classes around Dublin?

I see Trinity have a 24 week beginners course starting next month; anyone have any experience with that?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭gdawg87

beginners course for what?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Farcear wrote: »
    Rather than passively learning pits and pieces pretty haphazardly, I'm looking into taking a few classes to put a bit of effort into this.

Can anyone recommend any good evening classes around Dublin?

I see Trinity have a 24 week beginners course starting next month; anyone have any experience with that?

Thanks.
    I did this course as well as the two follow up courses.

I heartily recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

A hearty recommendation sounds good.

What was the class like? How were the teachers? Do you get "homework" or do you just rock up each week to learn a surprising new topic?

What if all the kids are mean to me? :(

A hearty recommendation sounds good.

What was the class like? How were the teachers? Do you get "homework" or do you just rock up each week to learn a surprising new topic?

What if all the kids are mean to me? :(
    The classes are fairly informal, so no real homework or exams. Though occasionally you're given an exercise or some reading to do at home.

The teacher (assuming she's still there this year) is fantastic and is a big part of how I was able to get to come to Japan.

And if any of the other give you hassle a quick punch to the throat usually sorts them out.

Also I know that they offer the class for half price if you're unemployed.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

Tbh, it's more of an excuse to try and get out of work at a reasonable hour (for a while)!

What are class sizes usually like?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Does age matter for the Trinity Language Class? I'm 15 and I would like to learn very basic Japanese. :)

Tbh, it's more of an excuse to try and get out of work at a reasonable hour (for a while)!

What are class sizes usually like?
    Well they range pretty wildly. When I first went to the beginners class it was quite large. About 15+. But when I went to the 3rd year (intermediate) there was only myself and another person in the class.

From what I understand there's been a big drop off in numbers in the last few years so I would expect a smaller beginner's class.
    Does age matter for the Trinity Language Class? I'm 15 and I would like to learn very basic Japanese. :)
    I don't think it does. I vaguely remember some girls from fifth year joining the Post-beginners class. But it would be best to email them and make sure.

Advertisement